MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Is your hunting vehicle ready for fall?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

My 2004 Dodge Ram has gotten plenty of love this year. Per Buzz's figures, I'm on the return trip from the moon at 255k miles and counting. I'd like to keep this thing until we reach planet Earth again.

So far this month I've adjusted the valves, changed the differential and transfer case fluids, flushed the power steering, put on new Bilstein 5100s, replaced a fan bearing, and changed all of the filters. As soon as the filter gets here I'll dump the transmission, replace the filter and adjust the bands.

After reading Paul in Idaho's post earlier this year, I now carry a patch kit and compressor. Two things I've never carried before. I also found a new lithium battery boost pack that will supposedly start a diesel pickup. I run synthetic motor oil, so hopefully if I'm every stranded with a dead battery that thing will be able to turn the Cummins over and get me home.

I also carry 4 sets of chains, and two recovery straps (NOT tow straps), along with a shovel, axe, and sometimes the Husky 55 Rancher.

Every year I don't have to call a tow truck, fix something major or buy a new vehicle is that much more money I can spend on hunting.

Seriously? What are the random chances of 2 guys from WA with the same initials both having a dog named Henry and driving the same truck? If you tell me you're a 52yo pharmacist I'm going to start wondering. To answer your question, I drew a unit 76 CO elk tag this year and the first thing I did was replace the shocks, tires, and filters. I've carried a 12V compressor and patch kit for years. I always carry a spare fuel filter too in case I get some bad diesel.

I'm up to 227,000 on my '06. I think I did the shocks at 100,000 and trans has been changed and adjusted a few times. I had a injector replaced so my valves should be good. I have started getting the random CEL light that could be my fan bearing. Is that how you knew it was time to replace it?
I agree with you though. Pretty much the sole reason I don't have a newer truck is because I spend all of my "truck budget" on hunting.

My 2004 Dodge Ram has gotten plenty of love this year. Per Buzz's figures, I'm on the return trip from the moon at 255k miles and counting. I'd like to keep this thing until we reach planet Earth again.

So far this month I've adjusted the valves, changed the differential and transfer case fluids, flushed the power steering, put on new Bilstein 5100s, replaced a fan bearing, and changed all of the filters. As soon as the filter gets here I'll dump the transmission, replace the filter and adjust the bands.

After reading Paul in Idaho's post earlier this year, I now carry a patch kit and compressor. Two things I've never carried before. I also found a new lithium battery boost pack that will supposedly start a diesel pickup. I run synthetic motor oil, so hopefully if I'm every stranded with a dead battery that thing will be able to turn the Cummins over and get me home.

I also carry 4 sets of chains, and two recovery straps (NOT tow straps), along with a shovel, axe, and sometimes the Husky 55 Rancher.

Every year I don't have to call a tow truck, fix something major or buy a new vehicle is that much more money I can spend on hunting.

You sir, are a Madison Avenue nightmare.;)

I just put a new set of tires on mine. I have 160k on mine. This my fourth set.

I'm up to 227,000 on my '06. I think I did the shocks at 100,000 and trans has been changed and adjusted a few times. I had a injector replaced so my valves should be good. I have started getting the random CEL light that could be my fan bearing. Is that how you knew it was time to replace it?
I agree with you though. Pretty much the sole reason I don't have a newer truck is because I spend all of my "truck budget" on hunting.

If you have 127k on those shocks, they are likely DRT and should be replaced.

I was getting a grinding/rumbling noise when the engine was running, which is pretty damned hard to flesh out on a diesel. I pulled the serpentine belt and checked everything, convinced it was the idler pulley/tensioner arm assembly. I replaced those too while I had the fan assembly out.

Edit: I didn't have a check engine light with the bearing. Cycle your key three times without bumping the starter and it will give you the error code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? What are the random chances of 2 guys from WA with the same initials both having a dog named Henry and driving the same truck? If you tell me you're a 52yo pharmacist I'm going to start wondering. To answer your question, I drew a unit 76 CO elk tag this year and the first thing I did was replace the shocks, tires, and filters. I've carried a 12V compressor and patch kit for years. I always carry a spare fuel filter too in case I get some bad diesel.

Nope, not a 52yo pharmacist!

Good idea on the filter, do you carry channel locks to get the canister open?

My main concern is to confirm that the hidden key is still in place. Had an experience a few years back hunting pronghorn solo in WY with locking my keys and cell phone in the truck. Tone did wave as he went by... ;)

My main concern is to confirm that the hidden key is still in place. Had an experience a few years back hunting pronghorn solo in WY with locking my keys and cell phone in the truck. Tone did wave as he went by... ;)

My bad! I "lost" my keys inside my truck for about 15 minutes on the same trip.

Hide a keys are worth their weight in gold. It's a bad day when it's not there!

324k on my 98 Tacoma and it still needs a oil change & lube before season starts.
Gotta find real heavy duty hide-a-key & tape in in place...just saw mine flew apart and no key anymore.
Wonder if the missing one is the piece of metal found inside my F-150's tire that I have to replace this year.It's my luxury back up.

Last edited:
My '01 Chevy 2500 with the 8.1 L just needs an oil change before I leave for home from Kentucky in a week (and probably not long after I get home) and a good cleaning out before I start filling it with hunting gear again for the September 3rd archery opener. Not exactly looking forward to the gas mileage that she is going to get from September to November but what can ya do?

The hide a key is something I need to invest in... Always triple check I have my keys but there is always that one time when you don't..

My bad! I "lost" my keys inside my truck for about 15 minutes on the same trip.
Ha! I was just joshin' you anyhow. I do think we did pass each other a few minutes before my incident happened. I hope to be in the same place(s) in early Sept. If not then will have to wait until 10/1. You heading back?

2016 Tacoma so we're good to go on maintenance. Tested approach angle, breakover angle, clearance, and sunroof this weekend on a foolish trip to a mountain lake. No hide-a-key due to electronics so I need to figure out where/how to keep a spare (this thing has keyless entry as long it senses the key is nearby so I can't just hide one). I have a set of chains however I don't think I have the clearance in the front although I am considering a leveling kit which should fix that issue. Tow chain and straps available. Delorme communicator charger always in truck.

I had 565k on the one before(82') and sold for what I paid for it and got newer one the next week.
I heard that truck is in Mexico now @ Kevin Costners place.I sold it to his carpenter.LOL

Transmission is done. Other than a trip to the store for more kitty litter, everything went as planned. My drain pan needs to be a little bigger in diameter, or else I need to lay down a preemptive layer of kitty litter.

NHY, I'm still trying to figure out if you insulted me or complimented me.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back