Insoles for Boots

JMG

I bought a new pair of Lowa Tibets and really like the weight and performance of the boot . . . . BUT . . . . The bottom of my feet towards the end (say 5 - 6 miles) and immediately after a long hike feel like they are on fire. I have not or do not get any blisters after wearing these boots. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

Can anyone recommend insoles for hunting/hiking boots? I'm hoping by putting in insoles, this will eliminate this burning sensation.

I have the same in superwarm model.
1 yr old & just getting broke in. Never had any discomfort. Never really hot even in summer.
I plan on applying the Lowa recommended boot dressing & might add insoles. I have always broke in boots with original manufacture footbeds & modified for comfort & need later. The boot is molded to MY foot then.
Was looking at what others are using & if they take the original footbeds out before adding insoles. I never have.
I also get hunting boots half size larger for thick wintersocks. I wear medium merino wool socks all yearlong. My feet stay cooler & wick. Liner socks too if I'm really hiking or hunting.

Last edited:
I'm on my second pair of Lowa Tibets and love them. I do have a new insole in the second pair but honestly don't notice much difference from the original manufacture insole. I only use the new footbed now because I purchased them and since they are as comfortable as the original, why not. I'm kind of a stubborn old school guy and complain that for a $400 boot I shouldn't have to spend another $50 for a footbed, my son just rolls his eyes and shakes his head at my stubbornness.

I've had similar problems with most stock insoles. I've found insoles to be a lot like boots. You need to try several different kinds to see what your feet like. I've probably tried 15 different ones and they can sure change the fit and comfort of a boot. Sure it can add up to quite a bit of money but I've got bad knees and hips and as I've gotten older, insoles make a huge difference to my comfort.

A lot of people like Superfeet. I tried the blue, green but they didn't help me. Orange was better but still not great. I've found I like Sofsole the best. They have a gel like cushioning. The AIRR, Athletic, has been good. If I have a tighter fitting boot, I needed to go with the thin. I just recently tried one with metatarsal pad and so far, I like them a lot too.

I have the same boot. I just picked up Dr. Scholl's Active Series replacement insoles and will give them a test tomorrow.

I also wear Darn Tough's full cushion hiking sock. I'm also flat footed as hell so I need some kind of help regarding that. Hopefully these replacement insoles do well.

Use an insole that doesn't have a slick top surface. Superfeet and Sole both will burn my toes so I no longer use them. I like Dr Sholes Active as they're a multi gel and have a soft top surface. The Lathrop also work for me and are slightly less volume than the Sholes but a bunch more money.

I still wear my sheep hunters I bought about 10 years ago. When I first got them my feet would hurt the first couple days I wore them. I tried some insoles but nothing really seemed to make a difference. So I put the insoles in my work boots and play shoes. BAM! Problem solved. I was wearing such crappy shoes every day that when I put something good on, it hurt. Now everything I put on my feet, except the sheep hunters, has padding.

I have the same problem with my Lowa Tibets. Trying to get it figured out as well.

I toss every insole that I've bought with my new boots the past dozen years. The balls of my feet need a lot more cushion than what come with them. I have Tibets and have done the same. I've been using Spenco's from Sportsman's Warehouse that run around $20 and replace them a couple times/year.

I too use the Dr Scholls active or sport series, whatever they're called. Also helps to ensure you have socks with good cushioning. I've had that sensation before too and it was usually when I was wearing thin lightweight socks.

I had the same problem...got some superfeet and will put them in every boot I buy from now on! If you have access to promotive/expertcity you can get a pretty good discount!

Try different insoles out. What works for you is what's important. Superfeet weren't for me. Scholl's work for me pretty well. I've often used insoles out of my favorite shoes (Vasque), and they work as well for me in my hunting/hiking boots as in the shoes for which they were intended.

I currently have Lathrop & Sons Synergy footbeds in my Tibets. They are very comfy and really cut down on the hot spots. They are a little pricey but totally worth it.

That said, everyone's feet are shaped differently, which means their needs are different. For example, the SuperFeet Green insoles I tried had very high arches. I have medium arches and the SuperFeet arches were much too pronounced for me. Someone with higher arches might really like them though. Moral of the story- try a few different models and see what YOUR feet like.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back