Inexpensive powder

Preacher shaner

I ask a lot of questions about the the 3006 I am Putty together. So here we go. So far rem 700 3006 Boyd light weight stock new trigger muzzle brake. 165 gr partitions.
I am going to put together 500 rounds. I am just looking for 1 in group. So this is what I need to know.

1. powder kind and how much do I need for the 500 rounds.
2. primers.
3. Brass. What kind once fired what
Thanks

For a starting point just go to Noslers website and get some load data on the 165 partition.

If you are loading around 55 grains you will get around 120 rounds per pound of powder (7000 grains per lbs.)

I like federal 210 match for standard loads.

I usually use nosler brass. But win is much cheaper.

Cam

I ask a lot of questions about the the 3006 I am Putty together. So here we go. So far rem 700 3006 Boyd light weight stock new trigger muzzle brake. 165 gr partitions.
I am going to put together 500 rounds. I am just looking for 1 in group. So this is what I need to know.

1. powder kind and how much do I need for the 500 rounds.
2. primers.
3. Brass. What kind once fired what
Thanks

1. H4895, H4350 and Varget are great options for '06 - I would try in that order. 500 rounds finished means 550 rounds when you include load development. Amount used per round will vary by powder choice, bullet choice and where you find your velocity sweet spot for your rifle, but in general, you are looking at the range of 45-60 grains. So let's assume worst case: 550x60=33,000grains/7,000 grains per pound = about 5 lbs.

2. Mainstream Large Rifle will be fine, I like CCI, others may like Federal. Some like to use Magnum Large Rifle primers for '06 based cartridges, it'll work but isn't necessary. I would get CCI Large Rifle #250 and not worry about the differences.

3. For general hunting accuracy any mainstream brass will be fine. Winchester, Federal, Nosler, Starline. No need to to go premium Lapua or Norma for your purposes. I like Nosler, a little more expensive that Win/Fed/Star but I find them be to more uniform and a little harder than the cheaper ones while not going full-monty on price like Lap/Norm. If you are new to reloading definitely start with new brass not range picked up.

A thousand other permutations will work for the limited demands you are asking.

I'll echo what was said. There are a pile of powders out there that will work H4350 may be one of the easiest to find. Reloder 16, 17, and 22 might be worth looking into also. I'm told the new Winchester StaBall 6.5 showing some great results in 30-06 if you're looking for a faster round. Realistically you should only need to buy 50-100 cases for 500 rounds total (brand probably doesn't matter for hunting rifle just buy them all from 1 lot don't mix and match brands). Also buy a 1k box of primers. Try a 1lb canister of whatever powder you choose first then if it works buy and 8lb jug.

If you're looking for inexpensive powder maybe take a look at Shooter's World however you'll likely have to order it so then you add shipping and HazMat costs.

Last edited:
I am not the one doing the reloading. So I am trying to buy everything I need to load the 500 finished rounds plus the work up. It is a very good friend of mine and he dose not change me much to do the work up and load the rest for me. But I do try to have everything in hand for him. So he is not waiting on me. And I buy what I want a little at a time.

FWIW - If you only need 1 MOA and are using such a common bullet for such a common cartridge, you could probably do fine with factory..

Admittedly, I've never loaded for -06, but...

I've read that H4895 was originally designed for the 30-06 and it does excellent things in my .308. it seems to be a fairly under-recognized propellant and it's always available.

Also I really like Fed210M for most everything. There is sometimes an availability problem with them, but they seem to be very consistent. I've also had a couple good loads come together with standard CCIs.

IMR4350 or H4350 at around the max load per Nosler's data with the primers they suggest.

Nosler, Norma, or Lapua brass is all great. I don't worry about once fired stuff. I setup loads on virgin brass with great success.

Well 500 rounds of Nosler partitions if I buy them by the box with out shipping is
1192.00. O Yea that's no tax ether. When I am done with this load I will have less than 750 in to it. And I know I have a moa load

Well 500 rounds of Nosler partitions if I buy them by the box with out shipping is
1192.00. O Yea that's no tax ether. When I am done with this load I will have less than 750 in to it. And I know I have a moa load
Fair enough - usually at that volume you would have eaten up the savings buying the gear and learning how to use it, but since your buddy sunk those costs, I can see how you can save a little.

You can get 165gr Partitions as seconds from Shooters Pro Shop for a fraction of the cost. Buying 500+ from them helps with shipping. Sometimes they run sales for 10-15% off and/or free shipping. Sometimes their blemishes are just cosmetic like discoloration and sometimes they are overruns with a cannelure.

You can get 165gr Partitions as seconds from Shooters Pro Shop for a fraction of the cost. Buying 500+ from them helps with shipping. Sometimes they run sales for 10-15% off and/or free shipping. Sometimes their blemishes are just cosmetic like discoloration and sometimes they are overruns with a cannelure.
Thanks

I'd shoot a box or two prior to starting this endeavor just to see how they do. If you're really going to buy 25 boxes, I'm sure a local shop would cut you a deal or at the very least you'd qualify for free shipping from an online place. 165 gr Federal Vital-Shok w/ Partitions is running around $27-$33/box online.

I have got the bullets already. I and picking up a little at a time unty I get what I want. Than I will have a load put together.

I have got the bullets already. I and picking up a little at a time unty I get what I want. Than I will have a load put together.
I see. Just as an FYI, if you're picking things up a little at a time you're probably getting different lot numbers. Sometimes that doesn't seem to affect anything, other times it does. I would not expect it to change a 1 MOA load to 4 MOA or anything drastic like that but your 1 MOA load may or may not be 1 MOA throughout all 500 rounds.

I see. Just as an FYI, if you're picking things up a little at a time you're probably getting different lot numbers. Sometimes that doesn't seem to affect anything, other times it does. I would not expect it to change a 1 MOA load to 4 MOA or anything drastic like that but your 1 MOA load may or may not be 1 MOA throughout all 500 rounds.
But it can take a load on the hot-side and flattens some primers . . . . I agree, with you and JLS, this is not how I would go about getting custom loads developed.

Back