Illegal Nevada Elk

thomas.orsack

This elk was shot by a Utah resident posing as a Nevada resident with the help of his dad. Cost him $9,000 and loss of license for three years. Won't say what unit it came from.

2013-03-02 15.40.27.jpg

2013-03-02 15.39.46.jpg

9 grand and it it would take a lot longer than three years to draw the tag. Sounds like a bargain to me. The penalties do not fit the crime, I hate poachers!

Should have been a lot more, but at least he can't in hunt any of the thrity-some Violator Compact states either for that three year period. It's nice to see more states making these egregious violations felonies now and hopefully that will stop a lot of this stuff when a guy knows it will lead to loss of his right to own a firearm if convicted. For the poacher that does it on a regular basis it probably doesn't matter to them what the penalties are.

If it is a felony doesn't that mean he can't hunt any more period? I was under the impression you can't possess a firearm or have one in your possession if you are a convicted felon. Not 100% sure on this...

A felon can't posses a firearm. They can have a bow or a muzzle loader but that depends on the state. In Colorado a felon can't have a dangerous weapon which includes bow and or muzzle loader.

A felon can't posses a firearm. They can have a bow or a muzzle loader but that depends on the state. In Colorado a felon can't have a dangerous weapon which includes bow and or muzzle loader.

This can vary a lot from state to state. Some states will reinstate your firearm rights as soon as the sentence is completed, i.e. probation, etc. Other states you must petition to have your firearms rights reinstated after a certain amount of time with no other criminal violations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back