Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

If you could live anywhere???

HunterRebellion

I have an opportunity here in the not too distant future to retire. I am a resident of Alaska, so that has been high on my list. Having a family has recently brought other factors into my decision making as the day gets closer and closer. Outdoor activities are at the top of my list of factors. Other factors include education system (which Alaska is ranked 49 out of 50), job opportunities (because the DoD retirement plan is good, but not that good), cost of living, cost of land, cost to build, crime rate (Alaska isn't that good either - see "Alaska State Troopers" for reference), government, hunting opportunities, and taxes.
So, where would you live if you could just pick up and go with moving costs not being a factor? ...and why or why not? Not just the state, but the town or county. List the pro's and con's.

Chugiak Alaska. Weather sucks, crime is high, no jobs, etc. My dreams come true every day. I have zero desire to move out of state.

You say you're a resident, are you from here?

Born and raised in WA (and I've ruled that out). I was stationed at JBER for 6 years, and have been trying to get back. I still own my house in Wasilla, and plan on building another in the Valley. Nothing compares to AK, and I plan on moving back in a couple of years. But, I don't want to factor anything out. There are some beautiful places. Like I said, Alaska is still at the top of my list. The hunting opportunities are off the charts.

Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, anywhere where the elk roam and the Rocky Mountains are there. Although, Alaska would be amazing too.

We are chasing what I assume is the same DoD retirement plan, my personal goal is to eventually retire and move somewhere around the outskirts of Springfield or Jefferson City, Missouri. I love the area, close enough to KC to get my Royals games and BBQ but far away enough to be clear from the riff raff. My family loves everything outdoors and are pretty much lake rats in the summer, I can't find another place where the summers are long and lakes are abundant. You can catch some giant cats in the Osage & Missouri rivers and get your fill of whatever you want in Lake of the Ozarks & Truman. Walleye are abundant in Stockton and trout are plentiful in Taneycomo and a short drive will put on some awesome Striper fishing on Beaver Lake, Arkansas. Deer & turkey hunting are phenomenal as well the education system is on par. Missouri is my first choice, but my current duty station is a close second, Wyoming. I've never lived anywhere I can hunt so many different species year after year, that's a massive pro. The massive con is the wind is terrible, summers are short and cost of living. The cost of living is absolutely highway robbery in my opinion but we make due, not sure how well that'll work out with the DoD retirement plan, a second job would be a must and I don't want to work much when I retire at the age of 40. :) Missouri's cost of living would afford me the opportunity to only work part time and spend as much time as possible with the family, tree stands, lakes and hunting trips back west. I can always go back west. Only time will tell for me and my family and only you can decide what's best for you and your family, it's just my opinion. Congrats on the pending retirement!

For those interested, you better hurry up and get your slice of the big sky quick. The flood gates have opened and the big city retirement refugees are pouring in right now.

IF I can retire how I want to....my wife and I both receiving good pensions, several 100K in the bank outside of retirement, my house in Ohio sold (nearly all profit because I bought low and have remodeled by myself)....I will retire somewhere out west. State is yet to be determined. I would probably try to get some sort of job just because I can't imagine not having some type of work, but it definitely wouldn't be something that was required to survive. I'm favoring New Mexico or Wyoming, the wife Montana. I'd be happy with any of those to be honest.

If I was retired, I'd probably buy a nice 1 ton pickup and put a slide in camper (or Sportsmobile E350....or Earthroamer if I was wealthy) in the back and just go where I wanted. I'd probably spend most of my time in the west, or back in Texas.

I am in the same retirement DoD pool. Sept 2018 I will be done with active duty and my 20 year hitch. At a ripe old age of 38, I will find another job, dunno what really! Right now my wife just finished her BA in HR/Business Admin and we live in Utah till I retire. If she finds a good enough job here soon, we shall stay till the kids are a bit older and the nest egg is saved up a tad more. Otherwise we plan to move back to MT and hopefully find jobs to make our lives easier, haha.

A ranch somewhere in the hill country. I'm not really sure I could leave Texas again for residence in another state. Vacation home though? Cloudcroft, maybe.

I recommend living in/near a college town. I'm far from retirement but my wife and I recently moved near Penn State Univ. I totally love it here. I wouldn't say that it's inexpensive, but I like being somewhat close to town and some culture. We've got all the sporting and culture events of a major university. The trout fishing is fantastic here. Nothing like being out west, but enough public land around to keep me busy exploring new areas for the foreseeable future. We have tons of great places to eat/drink, and all the shopping/retail that a person needs, but 10 mins out of town and you're in the "mountains". IMO the schools in college towns are usually pretty good quality because you're often times teaching the son/daughter of the guy that wrote the text book.

I have a real good chance of working from home full time as early as next year and my boss is open to an out of state location in the lower 48. If that comes to pass, I am looking at Wyoming and Montana first with Idaho and Colorado as backups. Alaska would be first choice but my employer was not that enthusiastic about that.

My number 1 choice would be western North Carolina above 3000ft, pretty cool summer temperatures without having a harsh winter. Also has really good bass and trout fishing. My other choice would probably be north Idaho somewhere around Couer d' alene. Both have a bunch of recreational opportunities with ample amounts of public land.

We have been thinking a lot about living on a sailboat when we retire. That way we can always wake up where we want to be or close to it. The idea or downsizing the house and property to make it low maintenance is very appealing as well. Just a cabin somewhere close enough to the water to not have to spend a bunch of time driving.

I'm happy right where I am. Within two hours I can be wading a trout stream in the heart of the Smokies, 4.5 hours and I'm holding a surf rod thigh deep in the Atlantic and able to hunt and fish for everything in between.

I lived in the Mojave Desert of California, Kansas, front range of Colorado, hunted and fished the Rockies when I wore a younger man's clothes and enjoyed it all but I'm a bit too long in the tooth to be humping them now so those days will just have to remain fond memories. One of the most outstanding things about being human is that we're not all alike and so enjoy a diverse collage of interests. What another person feels is their utopian existence might be over-rated to another, so I'll just enjoy my little slice of heaven and be satisfied with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back