Idaho Weiser Zone

idnative1948

I was having a cold one last night downtown and ending up talking to a rancher's son from the Ola area and was telling him I have a cow tag. He said I hope you have deer tags also because chances of taking an elk are getting slimmer and slimmer over that direction. He said with what wolves that are still in there the elk are continually moving north/south and back and forth so being in the right place at the right time would pretty much be it. The few he has seen feed in the pastures and then go back into the black timber holes.

Does this make sense to any of you that know that area? We will be going up to scout in three weeks above Sagehen.

I put in for a deer tag in that unit, unit 32A right? I wasn't lucky enough to get one, they don't give out very many. I do plan on going grouse hunting up in that area though. Looks like a great area to hunt up there though.

I ride a little for several ranchers up there when visit my parents place since moving to Montana and the wolves have the elk in the desert/flats away from the timber. There are still elk tucked away but I hunt that area alot and for the past 2 -3 years they seem to be pushed down. I think the Rancher's son has a good idea of what is going on. Good Luck!

I put in for a deer tag in that unit, unit 32A right? I wasn't lucky enough to get one, they don't give out very many. I do plan on going grouse hunting up in that area though. Looks like a great area to hunt up there though.

Good grouse hunting. Any of the roads up above you can drive up that has a little water around will have grouse. And you are correct it is 32A. We always put in for doe because we all have jobs where a lot of the guys hunt during October so we aren't able to get many days off. So some is better than none. We drew 5 doe tags and I was the only one to draw on a cow.

I ride a little for several ranchers up there when visit my parents place since moving to Montana and the wolves have the elk in the desert/flats away from the timber. There are still elk tucked away but I hunt that area alot and for the past 2 -3 years they seem to be pushed down. I think the Rancher's son has a good idea of what is going on. Good Luck!

I swear that every year when we get just above Ola where the gravel starts, that we run into the ranchers when they are driving their cattle down the road. We always offer water or sodas so actually get to chat with them a little bit. Trucks are covered in green by the time we get to Third Fork and that stuff is hard to get off after it has baked on for a week. Wouldn't have it any other way though.

Idaho elk

I haven't hunted that area , but last year we were in the sawtooth region and heard exactly the same thing, even from the rangers. I got some elk to call but never saw but one run across a road after dark in 9 days. Didn't meet one hunter who had any more luck than I did. Saw lots of bear sign, wolf tracks, and could have shot a deer if I had a tag. Great grouse hunting! So take the cheap arrows. What I learned is they are more like whitetails now , sticking to the really thick stuff and not coming out until near dark and bedding by 7 am. Good luck
Azfisherman

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back