Idaho Weiser river elk tag

OkBuckMaster

Has anyone on here ever hunted the Weiser River Unit in Idaho? Never elk hunted before and looking for some advice on where to start and some directions that I should head to first and try out. Coming from Oklahoma, won’t be able to a scout other than sending a couple cameras up to a buddy who lives up there. Thanks in advance guys

I hunted west of Cascade Lake last September with little luck. Saw one spike in 7 days. Lots of wolf sign and we got a wolf on a cam. If I were going again, I’d head to the north end of the unit. Possibly look for wilderness.

I am hunting the Weiser River zone for the first time in a 10 days. I'm going to try hunting the northern part of the zone. I'll let you know how it goes and what I find. It's my first Elk hunt and my first time in Idaho. Two weeks with the fam and the backwoods! Wish me luck!

I am hunting the Weiser River zone for the first time in a 10 days. I'm going to try hunting the northern part of the zone. I'll let you know how it goes and what I find. It's my first Elk hunt and my first time in Idaho. Two weeks with the fam and the backwoods! Wish me luck!
I’ll be hunting the northern part of the unit as well. My first elk hunt also, should be a blast

how did your hunt go, have any info that might help me this upcoming season
@PAB , my suggestion is to join some conversations here with some worthwhile contributions, send some pm’s to folks that have posted in relevant threads to the area you’re interested in, and don’t take it personal if you don’t hear back.
Welcome to HT!

@PAB , my suggestion is to join some conversations here with some worthwhile contributions, send some pm’s to folks that have posted in relevant threads to the area you’re interested in, and don’t take it personal if you don’t hear back.
Welcome to HT!
thank you for the suggestion, not trying to step on anyones toes on here, just my first western hunt so was trying to get some basic info that may help me not make a bunch of rookie mistakes

not make a bunch of rookie mistakes

Been doing this for 9 years and every year, no every day, of elk hunting I still make a bunch of rookie mistakes.

Learning curve is steep, go out there and have fun. You are in the mountains away from the everyday rat race be in the moment and enjoy it all. Be realistic with your expectations and get your head in the right place before you leave. The physical part is "easy" it's the mental grind that breaks most people.

Good luck have fun and report back after your hunt.

thank you for the suggestion, not trying to step on anyones toes on here, just my first western hunt so was trying to get some basic info that may help me not make a bunch of rookie mistakes

First suggestion I would give you, if this is your first western hunt, I wouldn't have made CO 4th rifle your first western trip too. I personally would've taken those 5 days and added them to your ID hunt. Give yourself more time to learn the elk and area.

There is no magic trick other than lots of time and in most cases even more luck.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back