Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho Unit 54 Archery Elk

Heff

First time big game hunter here everyone! My buddies talked me into doing an unlimited archery deer in Unit 54 and I decided to put in for 1 out of 10 tags for elk in the same unit during the same time. I got lucky and drew the tag. 2% odds. I'm blown away. Im especially brand new to archery since I bought my first ever bow in March. I have been shooting like crazy to prepare for the hunt. Anyways, I have been doing some serious eScouting with my onX maps and dropping waypoints on possible elk locations. I am headed out in the morning to get a feel for the area and see if I can see any wildlife. I am looking around an area with Electric creek, fifth creek, and secret creek. When I am out scouting an area, what exactly should I be looking for, aside from elk? Thanks for the help!! -Heff

My wife hunted it a few years back. Great hunt!!! We scouted every single weekend from the time we drew the tag until the season opened. The biggest thing is don't get discouraged during your scouting efforts if you are not seeing bulls or many elk for that matter. Not only was I not seeing them through glass, I was getting very few up on trail cameras. Low and behold, they did show like clock work at the start of the hunt. I'll PM you with some starting points.

Congrats!! I love hearing stories of people pulling tough tags with such long odds. I have zero experience with that unit and hunt but I would suggest a few things. Learn your bow inside and out along with watching/studying/practicing public land archery elk hunts and hunting situations. Unfortunately there is nothing like the real deal but there is plenty to practice and get familiar with. Just because its a great tag doesnt mean you need to feel a bunch of pressure to arrow a big bull. Have fun with it! You are playing with house money. Odds are good that if you put alot into practicing with your bow and studying the do's and donts of the real life scenarios you will have an opportunity or two. I'm not sure about your hunt but most limited quota hunts are low tag quotas which is less hunters in the field. That alone will make it a fun hunt. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Back