Idaho Moose

Kiwi

I've be researching the Idaho moose odds and found some Areas that seem to offer good draw odds. Areas 12-5, 10-6 and 12-3 look like they might be worth a try but I'm guessing there is a reason for the decent draw odds.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these units e.g. difficult access, poor trophy potential?

Thanks.

You can also look at success rates and antler size in past years to get an idea on quality. IDFG also had a map center that will show you unit boundaries and land ownership.

Don't forget to factor in the overall nonresident cap of 10% of the licenses. Sometimes the draw odds get messed up for individual units and look really good, but when you look at the cap and the overall drawing you realize they really aren't.

Some of the mountain goat units look like slam dunk draws with 25%+ drawing odds. But the fact is that they really aren't. There are only 5 nonresident mountain goat tags issued state wide and once they hit that cap it is zero chance for everyone else.

When you look at the big picture there are 150ish folks applying for 5 tags statewide on the nonresident side for mountain goat. That's 3% drawing odds the way I look at it even if one particular unit had 1 drawn with only 3 applications.

Nathan is right on non-res odds. They can be long but you could get very lucky and get a tag within a few short years. You also have to purchase your hunting license to apply and that is not refunded if you don't draw. You will need to put up the money for the application but if not drawn will be refunded minus a handling fee. That entire process can take 2-3 months.

Still, there are not many other opportunities where you could draw a tag in your first year of applying for an OIL tag.

Draw odds
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/licenses/controlledHunts/lookupOdds.cfm

Harvest Stats
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/stats.aspx#moose

Map Center
https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/mapcenter/

Yeah, after research on the Idaho mountain goat odds I decided to stick with WY. But the idaho moose odds looked much better and I was just thinking there might be a catch.

17 drawn in 2015 out of 219 applicants for a 7.8% success rate. Not terrible. Way better than most states. Pretty darn good harvest success. If you applied for 7 years in a row you would statistically be about a 50/50 on drawing a tag.

I guess having to pick one option between Moose, Sheep and Goat really helps the folks that really want to hunt Moose.

Yes, odds not too bad. Some of units do appear to have very good rates (like the ones I listed above).

It would be great to be able to enter more idaho draws but I believe that if I enter the moose then I can't enter any other big game draws, correct?

Also thanks for all the help offered, it's aewsome to double check things after reading tons if regs.

Thanks smarandr. I will have to do some more planning as its nice to be able to hunt mutilple species in the same state.

Last edited:
My wife drew Idaho moose on her second year applying. She shot a 48.5" bull that officially scored 158 7/8. I think Idaho moose is one of the best kept secrets in hunting. A lot of guys will apply in their home state their whole lives when they could hunt in Idaho in just a few years (statistically). Plus, if you draw but don't harvest, you can apply again.

Idaho moose hunting is a riot. I totally recommend it.

PS. Watch EHJ this fall for the pics/story, otherwise I'd post 'em up.

Great to hear grizzly. I think I will apply, will be a huge adventure for this kiwi :)

Idaho has the best odds for moose.

Though, as a non resident they still are not very good.

Unit 1-1 has 50 tags overall with a max of 5 NR tags. What you really have to look at is 5 tags per the 300 applicants. which is a 2% draw for NR and a 16% draw overall.

If you are planning on trying to draw a moose tag as a NR, it would be worth it to hunt deer, bear, or elk in the unit that you are planning to draw every once in a while.

It may be a cheaper option to do a DIY hunt for moose in Alaska in the long run. I know some that have done the Brooks Range for ~$5,000 (Mostly flights).

Thanks smarandr. I will have to do some more planning as its nice to be able to hunt mutilple species in the same state.

You can't put in for a draw, but you could buy an OTC tag for elk and/or deer.

I drew and shot a moose last year, and in the unit I was in it would have been theoretically possible to have also shot an elk, deer, pronghorn, bear, and cougar; all with OTC/unlimited draw tags.

Last edited:
There are some reasons for the odds in 10 & 12. Depending on the sub-unit access can be an issue - not impossible but hard. It's not generally spot and stalk because it's usually thick timber & brush. Populations are down and tags have been slashed over the last 5 years or so. There are nice sized bulls in both units. There are some places in Idaho where the populations are increasing just not in these particular areas.

It may be a cheaper option to do a DIY hunt for moose in Alaska in the long run. I know some that have done the Brooks Range for ~$5,000 (Mostly flights).
I would love to hunt moose in Alaska and $5000 is within my budget but I understand I'd need a guide and this would push the cost up a lot.

And thanks guys for the great info.

I didn't realise I could hunt OTC if I try for a moose tag. So I could bow hunt deer in 55 and go in the moose draw?

Last edited:
I would love to hunt moose in Alaska and $5000 is within my budget but I understand I'd need a guide and this would push the cost up a lot.

My Bad,

I didn't know Alaska distinguished split non residents into US NR and non US NR.

Which is silly, but I guess Wyoming is no better with the rule restricting NR's in the wilderness.

Thanks smarandr. The one I'm looking at is unlimited tag numbers. Success rates are 8% so will be a challenge!

Back