Caribou Gear

Idaho Middle Fork GMU 27 advice

GDS

Hi I’m new to this forum. I’m a solo DIY hunter and have hunted the last ten years Colorado GMU 35. I also have hunted Alaska, Montana, Wyoming and New Mexico.

I have been dreaming 4+ years on hunting the Frank Church, specially 27 Unit. I haven’t doit because I know it is one of the most demanding
Hunts to choose.

I know that Idaho 27 doesn’t have the best trophy potencial, neither the best succes rates and maybe is one of the hardest backpacking hunts. But being there in the center of the Middle Fork is a dream to me and an adventure that I have been pursuing the last 4 years.

I did las month a half Ironman and next July I going to do the full Ironman, so I expect to be in my best conditions.

So, 2019 is THE year to try and I would want to fly to a backcountry strip and hunt elk/deer on September Elk Rut and on November Deer Rut. Maybe a flying on May to scout the area and buy a Bear tag, just in case.

I now that 3 trips in a year is maybe more expensive and less succesfull that hiring a guide. But I want the solo adventure.

I understand that the September and November hunts are different, but I would like to hunt the same area.

The unit is so big, that I don’t even know which airstrip to choose. So I’m asking for general info just to point me in the right direction.

Also if you know someone who provide scouting services, it will be great!

All the info you can tell me about the unit would be truly appreciated.

Thanks!

No real info, just be prepared for S T E E P. While helping a pard with a sheep tag in the Frank we ran into a few elk hunters on the river. If you have whitewater experience, floating the river and hunting from it would be a good options. It's more complicated logistically, but a cool experience. We flew in and then rafted downstream from the landing strip.

Wescout4u dot com would be able to put together a solid scouting package for you.

I’ll second the Middle Fork Air recommendation. I’ve flown out of Challis, Cascade, and McCall and I would rate their services in that order. Don’t let people scare you about the country. In my opinion it’s not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. They recently changed the controlled hunt from unlimited to limited so keep that in mind. Feel free to send me a PM and I’ll try to answer what questions I can

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back