Idaho, Let's Git 'er Done !!!

Moosie

Grand poopa
Can someone from Idaho post the dates of the Draws and a Basic understanding of the point system for someone wanting to put in for Idaho ?

How does the state handle the big game draws and general hunts ?!?!
When is the Deadline for draws ?
What is the Point system like there ?

Just some General Info from someone in the know willing to help someone out that needs general info.

thanx in advance.......

Idaho is very Basic. Unlike other states there is no point system at this time. So all you really need to know is the Deadline dates.

All the info you need is at the F&G website :

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/hunt/

You must first buy a licence to put in for a draw. Licenses cost :

COMBINATION LICENSES <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#eeeeee><TD width="70%" colSpan=2>Combination Hunting/Fishing
[size=-1][/size]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width="30%">$ 181.50</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
HUNTING LICENSES <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#eeeeee><TD width="70%" colSpan=2>Hunting
[size=-1][/size]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width="30%">$ 128.50</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Once you buy a License you put in for a draw. Deadlines for drawings (Elk/deer) are May 31st. So you have time to put in.

If you put in for Moose/goat/sheep, the deadline is April 30th.

If you don't draw for your critter you're putting in for you loose the license $ but you get your Tag fee back (Minus a proccessing charge of around $6).

1.You don't get pref points for putting in.

2.You can't put in for Draw elk/bear/deer if you put in for the Once in a lifetime draws moose/sheep/goat.

3. Tags for the Elk/deer are on a First come first serve basis.

4. There is Always left over tags but by hunting openers (Usually Sept(ish) ) the Elk tags run out.

5. Elk is by Zones, Lemhi zone, McCall zone, Etc. All Zones are comprised of Units. Usually several Units. these are the #ed ones. the lower the Number the higher North in the State you go (Usually).

6. Deer Tags are good for 3 parts of the State for NON-res. You need to buy a Clearwater tag, a General Tag or a SE Idaho tag. there is a Limited SE Idaho tag draw to keep the Utahins from coming over by the Bushels ;)

Any other Questions on Idaho ?
I'm posting this General info to Help those that have questions on hunting Idaho and to help learn more of the Proccess myself. Please look at the other States Posted and help someone coming to your state.
Let's git 'er done before the draws are up.

Regs for elk/deer are usually not out until, april or may-ish, so once they are out you should have about a month to put in for any draws or figure out some hunt details.

Thanx Tone !!

General Bear Hunting Opens April 15th. Regs are out before that. Sometimes Barely before that but they come out. I like the (ish) because we never know exactly.

the Moose/sheep/goat draws are due End of April so those are out prior and are a Seperate deal.

Moose is open for NON -res hunters as of a few years ago with only 10% going to non-res hunters.

Moosie,
Idaho's bear season operates off of last year's regulations in the Spring. Look at the 2004 regs to see when we can set the bait out in April....

You are correct Gunner, I forget about that. They do a Fall '04/Spring'05, con't.

April 15th is the Opener again and you can't set bait out prior to the opener.

I will not be here that week, But they never hit that early anyways.

I was talking to F&G the other day about bear hunting and they said they figured it out, and if someone put in for EVERY option ther ewas for bear they could Wack 7 a year in Idaho :eek: :eek: !!! That counts the Buying an Outof state deer tag to use for a bear and a super tag, and the Left over tags and the Optional 2nd tag from up north and...... WOW, And to think I only shoot one a year ;)

Alright, I think I now have it figured out for deer. I will buy my hunting license in April and apply for a deer tag before May 1. Now if I do not draw I can drive over there and just buy an over the counter general deer. Do these tags sell out during the season or am I pretty safe throughout? I may want to wait until later in the season depending on how other hunting is going. Also, how much time to you guys need to tie one up for me?

Miller,

The Clearwater Deer tags are generally available still at the start of the season. I don't think they even sell out after that. Don't know about the others.

It's been 3 years since drawing for a Rocky Mountain Bighorn, so this year I can start to apply for a Cali!

Miller,

We can check on the results, but usually, if memory serves me, only the SE Idaho deer tag is sold out. That is the tag that all the Utards buy and drive up for a week of drinking and hunting across the state lines.

The general Mule Deer tag is not usually sold out, and the F&G posts a "progress report" on how many of the tags are sold, on a week by week basis. So you should be able to monitor how close it is to getting sold out. I don't think it does, but you can watch it for entertainment. (The Non Res Elk tag does sometimes sell out.)

And sorry, I won't tie up any deer for you..... I'll gut shoot them, but not tie them... (just kidding....)

the Non res elk tags "ALWAYS" sell out. (or have in the last 4 years)
the Non-res Deer tags "NEVER" sell out. (or have in the last 4 years)

not sure on the Final # because I stopped checking it but I think there were 4-5 thousadnd deer tags left.

I have a Few buddies that play the "NON-res elk" tag game and usually get screwed.

for those not understanding a resident can Buy a 2nd tag Deer and/or elk after Sept 1st at non res prices to Wack a 2nd critter. Some guys buy a archery tag and then try to buy a Rifle tag but wait untill later and get screwed :p

MtMiller, you're still wrong but Closer... Deadline is END of May, not beginning of May (Usually, but regs aren't out quite yet)

Also can't a Non resident use his deer tag to either whack a bear or kitty and then buy another deer tag OTC if there are left overs in some areas?

I'm not sure if a NON resident can Buy 2 tags, It apears so in the Last paragraph on page 18, I know that a Resident can buy 1 nonresident tag to use on a 2nd deer or bear or Kitty. All the Specifics are on this page :

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/hunt/rules/bg/deergen.pdf

I did hear that only "1" Additional NON resident tag can Be bought by a Resident but I didn't see were it clearly stated that in the Regs. ? It says a resident can By leftover deer tags (Plural) but then says they can "to get an oportunity to harvest a Second deer"...... HUMMmmm.:confused:

Help from another Local Yokle ?

In Addition, I tlaked to someone at F&G and they said I could use a 2nd deer tag to tag a Bear but if I already killed a bear it could only be in a unit that alows morethen one bear. I jsut talked to an Enforcer and He said it doesn't matter. Not that I'd shoot an additional bear with a Expensive deer tag..... but It would be good to know. I'll ask a bit later in the year but does any one else have input ?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back