Caribou Gear Tarp

Idaho Elk question

AG74

Hi guys, new member here. I just posted in the intro section as well.

I started looking at this site a few months ago, gotta say its refreshing to see so many public land advocates and western hunting experts willing to share opinions and insight. I've been in Oregon for 10 years, after serving in some interesting places with the US Army. Mostly an upland, deer, and elk hunter, bow and rifle. Gaining lots of good insight here!

Quick question about the Idaho elk tag process.... the more I research it and think I'm finally starting to grasp it, I realize I'm more confused than ever...

I used to think: apply for a controlled hunt in Idaho, if you don't draw, buy a General/OTC tag and go hunt. But I recently noticed that OTC tags for NR go on sale as early as 1 DEC yearly; but the controlled hunt process takes place 6 months LATER in the year. SO, for instance, if I wanted a Sawtooth Zone Elk OTC tag for the 2018 season, they go on sale 1 DEC 2017. If I happened to get one before they sold out, there would be no point in applying for a controlled/LE unit, correct?

Thanks for any insight anyone has!

You can buy general tag starting December 1st and you can apply for controlled hunt before the deadline. If you are lucky to get drawn for controlled hunt, you have to sent the general tag in for exchange, make sure there is exchange deadline, if you don't send your general tag in for exchange ontime, your controlled tag will go to the second drawing and will not be available for you anymore.

You can buy general tag starting December 1st and you can apply for controlled hunt before the deadline. If you are lucky to get drawn for controlled hunt, you have to sent the general tag in for exchange, make sure there is exchange deadline, if you don't send your general tag in for exchange ontime, your controlled tag will go to the second drawing and will not be available for you anymore.

Clears it up. I'll be staying out of the draw.

Interesting, you can get a tag for a general zone and still apply for a LE? Then exchange it? Very cool. I have general tag this year so that is good to know.

This statement make me think you may have misunderstood!?

This statement make me think you may have misunderstood!?

I kind of did. But, let's me know for sure. The unit I want doesn't​ even have a draw that's for when I really want. So, I'd rather stay out and hunt a general tag since it's my first choice anyway.

I know I'm only one applicant. But, every little bit helps in trying to help the next guy and saving everyone some admin work.

It looks like you don't even have to worry about controlled hunt application, just buy general tag and go hunt. Thank you for not applying for controlled hunt!!! : )

I kind of did. But, let's me know for sure. The unit I want doesn't​ even have a draw that's for when I really want. So, I'd rather stay out and hunt a general tag since it's my first choice anyway.

I know I'm only one applicant. But, every little bit helps in trying to help the next guy and saving everyone some admin work.

No you got it. Good luck on the hunt!

Good info here. This really throws a wrench in my plan though. Instead of Idaho being the "last" state, its now effectively "first", if you want a certain OTC tag anyway...

My plan had been to apply for a Wyoming LE unit in Jan, I have about 40% chance this coming year (2018). If unsuccessful, I was going to apply for Idaho Controlled hunt in May, and if unsuccessful there, attempt to get a Sawtooth Zone general tag OTC...

But now to get a Sawtooth tag, I'd have to try to buy it on 1 DEC 2017. That would make me committed to Idaho, and have no reason to apply in WY - I don't have the time off to hunt both states....

Or am I missing something?

So does this mean I need to figure out what unit I want to hunt this September, because OTC tags are already available?

So does this mean I need to figure out what unit I want to hunt this September, because OTC tags are already available?

If you're a resident, no as resident zone tags don't go on sale until after the controlled draw. That said you can go pay for one now and get a receipt to exchange later.

If you're a resident, no as resident zone tags don't go on sale until after the controlled draw. That said you can go pay for one now and get a receipt to exchange later.

Phew! Thank you! I am a resident. Started to stress out thinking about missing out this September.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back