Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Elk Hunt Input Needed - Weather Changes

engelwood

Hey Guys,

Just looking for a little help on what to expect on my Idaho elk hunt that starts 10/1. Looks like the weather is cooling off hard right now and in a matter of a week the weather will have changed 30 degrees +/- before the opener on 10/1. This is a rifle hunt and is above 7500' of elevation. Expecting to get some snow just before or on the opener. Thoughts on how this might affect bugling activities? Will this change in weather kick them into high gear on the rut or will it shut them down? Will 2-4" of snow make them move to lower ground or will they be business as usual? We are hoping for a great hunt but have never been in this situation before and don't know just what to expect. Thanks for any input guys.

Nice, a fellow Lemhi zone hunter. :)

In my experience snow can only help you, especially if it's only a couple of inches in early October; a few of inches of snow won't set the herd into migration mode. During my archery hunt last week things were pretty quiet. I tend to chalk that up to the bulls staying quiet to avoid unwanted attention from the wolves. That's only my opinion, so take that for what it's worth. And despite seeing a fair amount of wolf sign, I still saw plenty of elk and elk sign. They haven't eaten all the elk despite what you may hear from some of the locals.

I'm in the same boat. I am starting my hunt on the 15th in Idaho. I hope it's not toooooo cold lol

Back