PEAX Equipment

Idaho controlled hunt

MITCHMO

Hey all,

Last fall was my first elk hunting experience and thanks to the great advice from members here, I tagged my first elk. Now I can't think about anything else. So thanks for that!

I am planning on trying a random DIY trip to Idaho(for lack of a better idea) and I was looking to narrow my search. I have a couple zones picked out that are not controlled hunts. However, since Idaho is lottery, I thought I might as well look at taking a wack at a controlled hunt unit. I'm a little overwhelmed when trying to pick out a unit. Can anyone provide any advice as a few to evaluate? I would prefer to rifle hunt as I may be solo, but archery wouldn't be out of the question. I'm also looking for a bull tag and not a cow. My preference would be to hunt high desert rather than heavy timber. I like meat before antlers, so making sure it's a "trophy" unit is not important to me. Opportunity at an animal is more important.

Even direction as basic as which part of the state would be a big help. I can research from there. Thanks!

Do you have a GoHunt membership? If so, really easy to filter by controlled hunts, then success rates, and focus on the southern portion of the state (to meet your high desert desire.) If not, you can do fairly well the same thing with the Idaho hunt planner (by far the best state specific planner.) Just filter by any weapon hunts, and pick the elk regions that comprise the southern portion of the state. Good Luck!

Mike

Hey all,

Last fall was my first elk hunting experience and thanks to the great advice from members here, I tagged my first elk. Now I can't think about anything else. So thanks for that!

I am planning on trying a random DIY trip to Idaho(for lack of a better idea) and I was looking to narrow my search. I have a couple zones picked out that are not controlled hunts. However, since Idaho is lottery, I thought I might as well look at taking a wack at a controlled hunt unit. I'm a little overwhelmed when trying to pick out a unit. Can anyone provide any advice as a few to evaluate? I would prefer to rifle hunt as I may be solo, but archery wouldn't be out of the question. I'm also looking for a bull tag and not a cow. My preference would be to hunt high desert rather than heavy timber. I like meat before antlers, so making sure it's a "trophy" unit is not important to me. Opportunity at an animal is more important.

Even direction as basic as which part of the state would be a big help. I can research from there. Thanks!
"I am planning on trying a random DIY trip to Idaho ( for lack of a better idea)"........... "for lack of a better idea" ????

The Idaho website is awesome. I have put all the layers into google earth. I wish toprut would get their info loaded up for Idaho. I've never tried the go hunt thing. I will look into that. I think I'll just pick a couple units with decent odds and narrow it down to one from the tools you me mentioned and give it a go. I suppose worst case scenario I get a tag :)

Hannibal, I guess my comment probably came across wrong lol.

If a trophy isn't important, you could take a look at general units. Again the IDFG website is a great resource.

If a trophy isn't important, you could take a look at general units. Again the IDFG website is a great resource.
l

Perhaps go for a preferred Controlled Hunt, then have a fallback plan of an OTC general tag?

Also, to the OP, I am sure I will be corrected, but I do not think there are really that many "high desert" bull tags that aren't limited to lottery drawing. Can't think of any without looking in regs.

And, the reason Idaho has so many general season bull tags is that the quality isn't there, and, the terrain limits over harvest. If they were good hunting areas, they will be controlled.

Doesn't mean there are not good general hunts, but, I think success rates on controlled hunts are much higher than general.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back