Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Chukar & Huns Reg Changes

BillyGoat

From today's Statesman...

Chukar and partridge limits, seasons reduced
Under new rules, hunters will have 12 fewer days and the daily bag limit will be cut by two birds per person.
BY ROGER PHILLIPS - [email protected]
Copyright: © 2010 Idaho Statesman
Published: 01/29/10

The decision by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission on Thursday was the only major change to the upland bird hunting rules, which are set every two years.

Chukar and hungarian partridge season will run from Oct. 1 to Jan. 31 through the 2011-12. The daily bag limits is six of each species, and the possession limit is 12 each.

"I've had lots of phone calls and letters from avid chukar hunters who felt there's been a decline in the (chukar) population," commission chair Wayne Wright of Twin Falls said. "I think it's important to work directly with sportsmen and pay attention to their concerns."

However, the shorter season and lower bag limits were not among proposed rule changes offered for public comment at Fish and Game open houses earlier this month - a process called "scoping."

Idaho Fish and Game staff recommended a traditional chukar season that would have started on the third Saturday in September and daily bag limits of eight chukars and eight partridges, rules that have been consistent since 1986.

Commissioners are not bound to follow either staff recommendations or public sentiment.

Fish and Game biologist Jeff Knetter said potential changes to chukar and partridge seasons were not scoped because none of the regional biologists suggested them.

Wright, who proposed the change, said biologists don't think the lower bag limit will make any difference in the populations, and he acknowledged that some people will oppose the decision.

But he didn't want to wait two years to change the rules at a time when the chukar population is already below long-term averages.

"We hope to scope this more thoroughly in the future," Wright said.

Having different opening and closing dates for chukars and partridge in different parts of the state was discussed, but commissioners decided to keep seasons and limits consistent to avoid confusion.

Former Southwest Region commissioner John Watts of Boise, who is an avid upland bird hunter, said he tried to get a later start for the upland season about five years ago, but was voted down.

He said public sentiment at that time was evenly divided.

Watts said he understands the rationale behind moving back the opening date, but it also should have applied to quail and grouse, which have vulnerable young birds, too.

"That just doesn't make sense," Watts said.

In September, young chukars are small, but growing quickly, and an additional week or two of growth can make a difference in their size.

Chukars are frequently concentrated around water in September, which makes them more vulnerable. The early season can be hot and uncomfortable for dogs and hunters.

Chukars are popular with bird hunters because they are commonly found on public land and offer a long hunting season.

Hungarian partridge are often found in similar habitat, but are not as plentiful as chukars.

This doesn't affect me much, since I don't like to hunt my dog when it is too hot. However I've seen more chukars this year out hunting then I have in the past 4 years. I think the chukar population is looking good.

I can't personally see where lowering the bag limits will be all that effective. But, I guess we need to look out for these non-native species... ;) I didn't make it ID this year for huns/chukars, but BOY has done to bad on them this year.

Yep, changed there mind. Supposebly had to do with worries over guided bird trips which may already be booked for this fall.

Unfortunetly the limit will be reduced for the 2011 hunting season. Which in my opinion is a poor decision. I'd like to see the data that forced this change.

Even a public survey would have been nice...maybe there was one. I never saw anything about one anywhere.

I believe there was a survey of one kind or another, but I haven't seen the results yet. Tone, can you point us to one? Was it just public opinion or more than that? I think what's got many hunters ticked off about this is that there appears to be no biological reason for the season or limit changes.

Brentster, we are in Middleton... do I know you?

This doesn't affect me much, since I don't like to hunt my dog when it is too hot. However I've seen more chukars this year out hunting then I have in the past 4 years. I think the chukar population is looking good.

Amazing how so much has changed since January...I'm not seeing the chukar I would normally see this time of year. I'm guessing those May and June rains have had something to do with it. :(

I haven't made it out to Chukar country to do any recon. But I have seen quite a few decent sized covey's of huns and quail. I have seen some small quail recently...maybe a 3rd hatching, they will be lucky to make it through the winter.

I believe there was a survey of one kind or another, but I haven't seen the results yet. Tone, can you point us to one? Was it just public opinion or more than that? I think what's got many hunters ticked off about this is that there appears to be no biological reason for the season or limit changes.

Brentster, we are in Middleton... do I know you?

Probably not. We just moved out there a month ago. Love it so far. I grew up in a small town, Grangeville. It's nice to get back to one again.

I've not seen many chukars where I've looked, either, but like other posters, I've seen itty bitty quail in the last week, I hope they get big enough to fly, before people start shooting at em. On a related note, maybe we should have a Treasure valley hunt talk happy hour, to meet some of the people we talk to all the time on the box.( happy hour should be someplace that has chocolate shakes, so we can include moosie)

Last edited:
Probably not. We just moved out there a month ago. Love it so far. I grew up in a small town, Grangeville. It's nice to get back to one again.
My coworkers in Boise joke that I live in E Oregon, but we've been here over 4 years and love it -- especially proud of our M4 Sherman tank in the park. :D Welcome to town and HT also. My brother-in-law is a vizsla guy but I don't hold it against him. ;) We have shorthairs & britts. If you're up for a birdhunt later in the season, shoot me a message and I'll take you out to my neighbor's best spots and demonstrate how poorly I shoot. Hahaa

BillyGoat,

If I remeber correctly there was an online survey within the last 6-9 months on upland bird regulations. As for data regarding upland bird pops. IDFG does several brood routes, wing collections and check stations around the state to get data. The unforunate truth is that upland populations (especially chuckars and pheasants in certain areas) are way down over the last few years. I remember the last season I spent in Hells Canyon starting the spring seeing lots of chuckars and by that fall seeing very few in some of the same areas. Hunting probably doesn' have a lot to do with the lower pops. but some lower harvest certainly won't hurt bird numbers.

As for where to find public input oppurtunities; all fish and game regions hold open houses and public meetings regarding potential changes, 2011-2012 fishing regs are currently having meetings scheduled. If going to a meeting and talking to biologists is to hard then almost all public comment oppurtunities also show up here: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/public/

My coworkers in Boise joke that I live in E Oregon, but we've been here over 4 years and love it -- especially proud of our M4 Sherman tank in the park. :D Welcome to town and HT also. My brother-in-law is a vizsla guy but I don't hold it against him. ;) We have shorthairs & britts. If you're up for a birdhunt later in the season, shoot me a message and I'll take you out to my neighbor's best spots and demonstrate how poorly I shoot. Hahaa

I'll definetly keep that in mind. I usually don't worry too much about hunting pheasants till November. There is definetly quite a bit of farmland around, I've heard roosters all around our sub, as well as getting into multiple coveys of quail just taking the dog for a walk. Hopefully the farmers are pretty open minded to getting permission to hunt on their land. I guess you don't know till you ask.

Thank tank is definetly something that catches the eye! I'm anxious to see how the new Ridley's turns out when it's done.

Floated the main Salmon the last week in July and saw very good numbers of Chukar. Saw all different size chicks, from all most grown, to ones that looked like they just hatched. I've never floated that section before, so don't know if it is an improvement or not, but I was impressed.

Back