Patrick Byorth's Experience on the Montana FWP Commission

I think Pat has done a good job on the commission.
That said, the article was a typical Lee enterprises liberal attack job.
Amazing the timing, a week before the big rally…coincidental? Me thinks not.

Might want to double check who Lee Enterprises gives money to.

Byorth’s experience during the changeover was likely no different than any other member of an opposite party to the new admin in the past, present, or future.
Politics, not competence, is what it’s all about.

I'm all for clubbing baby seals. It really lights up the nightlife of Helena when they're out on the town. Otherwise it's just the same 50 people ruining karaoke with bad versions of "that smell" from Skynard.

While there are some people an groups that may fit into this, TU isn't one of them.
Ben, in your mind TU is “conservative”?

Ben, in your mind TU is “conservative”?

I think their membership is. Lots of guides & outfitters as well as everyday anglers.

I'd say more than anything, they're politically atheists. In Montana, they take a far more conservative approach to issues than most other groups.

True left or right "wingers" often, when no supporting data (i.e. facts and examples) are available, like to throw out that "but they supported those other "opposing wingers" somehow, some way, at one time, so it's a left or right winger agenda/plan, obviously. Right on cue.

First comment on the article is from “Thomas McGuane”
Wonder if he’s been commenting elsewhere online and if they’ll be collected in a new book of short stories soon? Hahahaha.

Real McGuane or not, he sure nailed it.

As far as I have been able to determine, Pat Byorth doesn't own a ranch larger than 600 acres so he isn't legally qualified to sit on the Commission. Should have come as no surprise that he got the boot. After all, what does he know? He's only a fisheries biologist. Of course, baling hay is a much more applicable skill set for managing the state's wildlife. Pffft!

Last edited:
As a commissioner, his job isn’t to be tenacious. It’s to make decisions in the best interest for the future of Montana’s wildlife and hunting traditions. Part of that is knowing what you don’t know, and Tabor sucks at that. He pushes agendas that he knows very little about and acts like it’s for the hunters benefit. I haven’t seen anything from him that benefits anyone other than outfitters.
Agreed, and he has a bedside demeanor that leaves a bit to be desired.
I’ve called him
A couple times about the state of “our mule deer”. Just to help you understand his mindset, when I told him we need something done in R6 like yesterday as far as management goes he was confounded. He asked me “why do you think we need change management strategies, it’s mainly
Public land”. He at first could not grasp why I wanted to see mule deer bucks “put in LE permits if the choice is, do nothing or go most restrictive.”
I had to explain to him “we(myself, 2 other outfitters, and all the sportsmen
Might want to double check who Lee Enterprises gives money to.

all I need do is pick up their liberal rag and read who they pander to

Over the past four years I’ve had the pleasure of working with Pat while wearing a few different hats. Regardless of who I was representing or what we were working on Pat was always thoughtful, very responsive and quite frankly went way out of his way to do his job and help his constituents. It is a real shame to see him not get another term, those of us in Region 3 will likely not have someone that sharp or of that quality of character for quite some time.

I just heard that GG’s press sec ripped the Missoulian editor a new one for that interview.

Just my opinion, but when the commission leadership cuts one member out of most of the commission’s internal meetings, there is a very severe structural issue.

Back