Idaho Beaverhead Unit

Hoggyx

A buddy and I will are heading to Idaho on Tuesday. We have never hunted there before. Been hunting Montana for 10-plus years. We plan on hunting out of Spencer in the Beaver head unit. I just have a few general questions for anyone who has hunted the area before. Would it be a good idea to bring an ATV along? Are most of the roads accessible by four-wheel drive truck? We are both in good shape, and used to hiking miles in our Montana hunting days. Cell phone service.......is there any in Spencer or up in the mountains? Camping....... is the campground north of Spencer open through September? Are you allowed to haul a camper up into the mountains and Camp off the roads?...... maybe the roads are to steep/narrow...?

I'd call the local forest service office and they should be able to help with a number of those Qs.

Howdy hoggyx
We are elk hunting up there in November. It will be the first time i have hunted in that area but work up there periodically. ATV trails are closed unless you are packing out an animal. I can get to plenty of places with 4wd truck if you don't mind some fairly rough roads. You sure can camp off the side of the road on public land just be careful with campfires (plenty dry around there). Side of the road camping up pleasant valley road just north of spencer you can get a trailer in and out of. also quite a bit of camping off the frontage road that runs on the west side of I15 n. of Spencer. Good Luck drop me a note if you run into elk?

Back