I wish there were more friendliness

Lov2hunt

What a great title, and one hopes to have and make friends by the fireside. Reality and idealism don't follow the samepath, However, in most cases. Unless you're an antisocial, you'd like to have people at your fire or attend someone else's.
So it's so disheartening, specially in the hunting world, that the inexperienced only looks for experienced, and the experienced doesn't want to deal or mentor a newcomer. Even worse, sometimes, instead of inviting one to their fire, some feel like a newcomer is out to get advantage and steal their fire. It is truly sad.

Among several, I had one such experience just a couple of days ago when I started talking with tbis guy in Colorado, who has been binding for 20 years or so. This individual. Let's just call him Chad, was apprehensive about me coming to Colorado to hunt. I explained to him about my ambition and how I don't want to go to an outfitter and want to find good friends with similar interests, hence having friends at my fireside. I even offered to just tag along without hunting, and help out with the load and finances of the hunt.

So Chad started telling me about his bunts and how he does it regularly. I appreciated the conversation. It looked like we're going to have a crack at being at fireside and maybe become friends and even hunting partners. What I truly didn't appreciate was when Chad accused me of trying to have a guide to hunt locally without paying for a guide or outfitter!!!

If I'm offering to just tag along and not even hunt while coming from 3 states over and help with everything, why so many hunters that have more experience feel like the newcomers are out there to take advantage of them? Not only it feels really good to teach someone, one ends up gaining a friend or 2 in the process. The ones who watch your six and one day do what you'd be doing for them.

Why write all this? Because I truly appreciate the title of this thread, to have and find friends by fireside. I truly hope there are a lot less Chads out there. The last thing a newcomer to this field needs is to get discouraged and get accused of trying to take advantage or steal your spots, etc.
I hope I find more positive people who would want to have new friends. You're welcome to my fire, whether you're experienced or a newbie or one in between. Here's hoping for less Chads

Don't read too much into it. This guy Chad probably is just a bag of internet hot air. He doesn't know shit and when it came down to the wire, he was afraid you'd make that discovery if you joined him at his camp ... which is probably located in his imagination anyway.

Keep trying.

I wish you the best of luck. Here is an idea; you should do some escouting and find a couple of likely areas in a unit and then see if you can find an experienced hunter to join you on your hunt. Or even find someone and y’all decide to hunt a unit that neither one of y’all have been to before show that you are willing to work for the hunt. People are sometimes worried that if they take you to “their” spot next year you will be in there the following year with a bunch of your closest friends.

With western hunting exploding peoples hunting spots are getting more and more crowded every year. He’s probably just not wanting to take the risk of the friendship not working out yet showing someone around his spots and having one more person to deal with in the areas he hunts in the future.

I even offered to just tag along without hunting, and help out with the load and finances of the hunt

Hey, let me know if you're interested in coming up to Montana lol

After decades of hunting, I only know a few spots that hold the type of animals that I want to hunt. The type being fully mature, old even. I almost can't make myself go somewhere else. I would have to know someone else very well to invite them to my camp.
Best regards, Chad

Don’t take it personal. Some people can take it too far and be assholes, but most are just cautious about sharing spots as quality public land hunting spots are getting harder to come by and more sought after. Most every hunter who’s been doing it a long time has been burned by someone they’ve tried helping when it comes to their favorite hunting spots.

Don't read too much into it. This guy Chad probably is just a bag of internet hot air. He doesn't know shit and when it came down to the wire, he was afraid you'd make that discovery if you joined him at his camp ... which is probably located in his imagination anyway.

Keep trying.
Tnx, and I am trying.
Ontario, CA or Canada?

With western hunting exploding peoples hunting spots are getting more and more crowded every year. He’s probably just not wanting to take the risk of the friendship not working out yet showing someone around his spots and having one more person to deal with in the areas he hunts in the future.
That's the thing though. If everyone thinks this way we're in trouble.

I made the mistake once of showing a guy a hot riffle, and said, please don't share this. Next time I went there he was there with 3 friends. So yeah, folks are cautious. Don't take it personally.
Once is the keyword here. Can't just put everyone up against that experience. You could, but would that be right? Should I think all hunters from CO are like that because this guy was like this?

After decades of hunting, I only know a few spots that hold the type of animals that I want to hunt. The type being fully mature, old even. I almost can't make myself go somewhere else. I would have to know someone else very well to invite them to my camp.
Best regards, Chad
How would you get to know someone if you don't even try, Chad?

Don't get hung up on the Chads in life. They can be gruff.
Find the right one and your good. Timing.

Some of us even soften up enough to share after a while.
I have hundreds of HH's around me I will most likely never set foot in again.
Time to share. With those that want to learn and don't BS.

Like other things in life , don't be a dick. We can pick up that scent better than the lead cow.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back