Caribou Gear Tarp

I need a different Deere

fishing4sanity

I need to see less of these green Deere and start seeing some mulies instead. This spring got everything here on the farm behind schedule and we’ve never caught up, the real travesty in all this is I drew my first ever Wyoming tag this year, deer region W. I was supposed to go to a friends wedding in Wyoming in August and planned on doing some scouting, but couldn’t get off the farm. Now, with onion harvest behind a normal year’s schedule I’m getting nervous, it looks like we won’t finish onions until Oct. 5th or 6th and most of region W closes Oct. 7th, but unit 82 does go until the 9th. It’ll take a day’s travel to get there but even if I can get in a day’s hunt I’m still going to try and make the trip to Wyoming. If anyone feels sorry for a frustrated farmer I’ll very gratefully accept input about unit 82 ( I may even be able to pay for your help – in onions of course:eek:), just getting there would be a great vacation!

Attachments

• OnionHarvest.jpg
    OnionHarvest.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 306
I grew up on a tractor; fly me out and I'll do what I can while you hunt. Pay can be a sack of onions. Maybe I won't make a @#)(#-up of it. I have an old friend who lives in Richland, would be a good chance to visit him.

Thanks for the offer tarheel, that's a very generous offer, especially for only a sack of onions! I've had plenty of tag soup over the years, it's not bad if you can at least get out and try and still have an un-notched tag, but when you don't even get out that really makes for some bitter tag soup. I've got my fingers and toes crossed and hoping to make it work.

fishing4sanity: On the photo of the harvester, are those 3 guys up there sorting onions vs dirt clods? How deep does the harvester slice into the earth. And does the truck receiving the onions have to mirror the harvester the entire time?

Kansadad, on storage onions like the ones pictured, the onions get lifted about 10 to 14 days prior (lifting is done with a rotating rod just under the onions, it cuts the roots and lets them cure in the field), when loading onions the pickers are taking out dirt clods and any bad onions they see, the harvester tries to go just a couple inches below the onions to reduce the amount of dirt clods, and the truck does have to match the speed of the harvester the whole time - bad truck drivers are very trying on ones patience! If you want to see other pics of onion harvest go to our website rmunnfarms.com

Last edited:
Know the feeling. We are still trying to get garbonzos cut off over here. Wish they would get done so I could get my fertilizer machines going and done before any more hunting opportunities pass by. Garbs should have been off a month ago and wheat seeded into them by now.

very interesting photos on the website. The one of the onion storage building with the door open was cool! About the Bluegrass, what do you do with it? Is it grown for seed?

nbell, I remember seeing some pre-season pics of deer from you, any luck with the bow yet?

schmalts, all the grass is grown for seed, so remember to take big divots when golfing, we'll sell 'em more seed.:D

Only type of combine I ever worked on was an old Allis-Chalmers which brought the grain up a chute which had a double head where you hooked the bags and then had to flip the diverter to the other bag, tie the full one off with hemp twine, kick it down a slide to the ground, hang a new bag and get ready to do it again; all day long. Wheat wasn't too bad, but when we cut oats my Mom's cousin who drove the combine thought he should be able to go as fast as when cutting wheat, but because of their bulk and greater yield I had trouble keeping up and would wind up nearly knee deep in oats up in the crow's nest. He had been deaf since childhood, so there was no use in hollering at him so I'd just kick a sack or two off without being tied and when he got back there that would get his attention. At that point the shouting match usually started.. He finally got wires and a wire twister and that sped things up considerably, no more hemp twine, but I still hate oats.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back