I do want your honey holes and your secrets!

Around 12:30pm, I still had not heard from the legendary Hunttalker if he spotted the bull again or not in his area.

The current bool slightly shifted a bit in his bed and cleared the branches that were in my way. I don't really remember chambering a shell. I was hoping maybe he wouldn't get up after the shot and maybe just stay there in the little depression.

One shot from the 7mm Mag(the most powerful rifle cartridge in the history of mankind) and for a second it looked like he would stay down, then of course with that elk tenacity he got up and headed right. Bam! again the worlds most powerful rifle shot him................ Then he started rolling, crap. He hung up and stopped, good. Grab my stuff and started heading over there and he starts rolling again. This might have been a bad decision.DSCN3824.jpg

Well sounded like a good hunt. The end. Story is over.

Welp, it was good while it lasted. Guess its head isn't twisted around in an odd way after all. And that one branch isn't pointed and a different color.

No set of antlers can withstand the most powerful rifle cartridge in the entire history of mankind. Knocked them right off his head.

Oh boy that had to be a chore to get him into to a better position for a hero shot or even breaking him down. Nice shooting

Dink, are you accepting applications to be a life coach?

Captivating story and pics.

Did you have to flex your quads to get that bull out of the canyon?

Dink,

Three bulls spotted by camp tonight. One keeper. I am going to see if I can locate the big one I wanted you to shoot tomorrow. Hoping he is still there, but not holding my breath.

I decided not to try and move him as it was really steep below where he stopped. 2 years in a row and no hero shots is kind of a bummer.

It was a long hour breaking down the first half of him not being able to see how his head gear was. It seemed like it was fine but didn't seem possible with the way he was laying. Finally, I was able to get his head cut off and flip the 1/2 of elk back off and walla.........He was fine! Nearly a Christmas miracle.IMG_5856.jpg

So he was a little smaller than I was guessing but I still love him. It is sort of cool to have a little Colorado elk slam of a Moffat county bull, a Rio Grande bull and a Unc bull now. Certainly fortunate to have been able to hunt all 3 of those areas.

Big thanks to everyone who PM'd me about the unit. It was a great time and I really appreciate it. You couldn't hunt that whole unit in 7 tags worth but I'd sure like to give it a shot.

Lesson learned, if you think they're gonna roll, they certainly will!IMG_5900.jpg

Dink,

Three bulls spotted by camp tonight. One keeper. I am going to see if I can locate the big one I wanted you to shoot tomorrow. Hoping he is still there, but not holding my breath.

I hope you kill him at first light tomorrow!

A fine specimen. Congrats, how far was the total fall/roll?

Dink-Oak I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help today

Oak-No worries, it's what you do when your friend is a jackass

Outstanding! I figured there was a good story to be told. Congrats.
I hope you haven't forgotten to pick up your kitties with all the excitement.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back