Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hunting Partners

I've done a variety of things. When I drew an archery tag for antelope in CO, my wife and three daughters came along and stayed in Camp a couple days. Then I dropped them off at My BIL's in Greeley and hunted hard solo for the next 3 days. Pronghorn hunting is the most family friendly hunt available.

I've interviewed potential hunting partners by shooting 3d archery shoots with them. If I can stand them after a long day of shooting then I'll likely be able to hunt with them. I won't go blind with some one any more. I've hunted with 3 different guys that I did this with and It hasn't failed me yet.

Three of them I got an introduction via an internet forum. But it wasn't through posting a thread about a "hunt partner wanted" We developed a repore over the years, and we found we shared many of the same values.

I've run into people in the hills and put together a day hunt with them we exchanged numbers but we never met up again for another hunt. (My Hunting Style changed since then)

But my family and friends are very critical of any hunt I do alone. I've gotten to the point of just making up someones name if I am going to do a solo weekend hunt. My wife knows that I'm solo and where I am and when I will check in. I also have a damn good life insurance.

I almost always hunt solo. I just havent found anyone with the hunting style I do. It doesnt matter what I am hunting I do it solo. Antelope, deer, elk, and this last fall I drew a moose tag and was by myself. Yes it was tough but it can be done. Oh, I am in my mid 40's. Maybe in a few years my body will give out and I will need some help.

Dont get caught up in the need for a partner to hunt. Yes, it would be nice but it can be done alone. Just let people know what area you are going to be in.

Thanks guys for your input. I don't mind going out by myself for deer but I'm not so sure about elk. Plus I agree with MN public hunter, it is a lot safer going with another hunter. If a guy was 3 miles from a road and broke a leg or even had a severe strain or injury, you could find yourself in a very serious situation. Another thing in my opinion is that it is more fun going with somebody. I've done a lot of fishing by myself and I've gotten so that even if im catching a lot of fish but im by myself, I dont enjoy it nearly as much...

Anyways, thanks again guys for the info.

Oh and one other completely random thing, I tried putting up a profile picture but it wont let me. Anyone got any idea how to make it work? thanks.

Nixter,

Ive gotta say you must have balls the size that come in dump trucks to be flown into the griz infested Alaska backcountry by yourself for hunt.

I'm not saying I've never been scared, couple of nights were nearly sleepless and one morning while walking in the dark a bunch of ptarmagin nearly blew up at my feet causing a bunch of my muscles to release involutarily! I have learned to control the fear that I feel and enjoy the solitude.

I'm in the same boat typically. I just roll solo and don't go for elk. Deer and antelope are pretty manageable by yourself. Sounds like we need a singles hunting matchmaker to find hunting partners.

Youve gotta find people who have similar hunting styles as some peoples version of OYO hunting are staying in motels and riding around in a truck road hunting not willing to walk more than 1/4 mile from the road and others want to be 10+ miles hike from the trailhead and hold their entire camp on their back to stay for a week.

If you figure this one out let me know. I recently sold my construction business and am taking the year off to focus on hunting. I have an extremely supportive wife who is allowing me to do this. I am planning on being gone from Aug-Dec hitting CO, OK, KS, NE, WY, and IA. I've hunted most of these same areas before but with limited time was not able to give 100%. I'm converting an ambulance body into my personal camper this spring to keep all my hunting gear in so I will always be prepared for any hunting situation with all my guns, bows, tents, packs, maps, boots, etc. I even changed my drivers license to another state last week to qualify for resident tags this year.

That propably qualifies me as a nut case!

Awesome! About the drivers license.... I was debating opening another store/branch in montana or wyoming just so I could change my state residence with integrity...

Elk hunted solo in Colorado on consecutive years. Took my best elk to date the second year of those two. My partner of previous hunts was injured the first solo and his wife was gravely ill the second. Aside from a couple guys I've been lucky enough to meet on this forum, I prefer solo, my son, or my local hunting pard. I chase Texas game 90% solo. I will chase Nebraska deer with draftstud this fall. If I could win the AZ raffle, I'd like to share a campfire with AZ402.

I will chase Nebraska deer with draftstud this fall.

That`s a combo I`d tune in to watch on OYOA...
Can`t imagine there`ll be any fish stories or dirty jokes told in that camp.

As far as hunting alone goes, I`m pretty closed in on who I hunt with, so most my trips are solo or with a really close friend.
That said, I`m trying to open up more to teaming up with someone new on some hunts. I think as long as its obvious that you`re both really serious about the hunt, there`s no reason you shouldn`t get along. I had a blast hunting with Basser last year, and hadn`t met him before we went out.

Last edited:
I'd be very careful getting a drivers license in another state in order to try to qualify as a resident because that isn't normally enough to qualify and a legal residence along with a certain time frame living in the state is usually required. I know Wyoming requires a full year residency at a legal address before you can even apply for any resident licenses, so be very careful as it could be disastrous! A number of people are getting busted for posting stuff out on the net that proved to be of a violative nature when readers turned them in. A recent one I just read about was in Worland, WY where an 18 year old high school kid was just fined $9,000 and lost his hunting privileges for 5 years for shooting a trophy buck out of season. He put pictures of the buck out on the net and several guys in the area where it lived also had pictures of that buck, knew right where it came from and that he had not taken it 70 miles away like he stated, but rather during the closed season near town. Also, the way the majority of the states now are tied together in the Wildlife Violator Compact, IMHO it isn't smart to risk loosing your rights in something like 38 states now if you are convicted of a violation in any one of them!!! Just sayin!

wyoming556---The WY nonresident deer licenses are referred to as a "Regional" tag that is good for a number of units within that boundary, as long as the unit isn't classified as a LE unit with it's own specific draw and season. There are actually a few LE units with a season of their own that are also included with the Regional tag during another time frame and I believe they are along the southern border near CO. Elk have LE units and there are a number of units lumped into what they call a "General" license for both residents and nonresidents.

Last edited:
I'd be very careful getting a drivers license in another state in order to try to qualify as a resident because that isn't normally enough to qualify and a legal residence along with a certain time frame living in the state is usually required.

+1 that sounds like a recipe for a certain violation and hunting rights revocation. Which state permits you to buy resident tags based soley on the existance of a drivers license and no actual living in their state? And does that state and your state BOTH permit you to exercise resident hunting rights in more than one state in the same year? Have never seen that be the case and I scrounge for every legal angle I can, same as every other hunting addict. If you have found a rare and legal loophole, let's here about it. We are all hunting nuts on here.

As to the original question...heres some things to consider when you apply for tags and I believe questions you should ask up-front to yourself and any potential hunting partners. When you ask those questions, dont be shocked by the answers, you may learn a thing or two you didnt before.

1. What are your expectations on the hunt? Are you looking for a trophy, just for fun, what?

2. How committed are your buddies? Do they want to help with the scouting, the research, or just swirl in and hunt?

3. Are you and your buddies committed to hunting the entire season? A few days? Are they going to leave you high and dry once they have their animal?

I'm of the opinion, after learning and relearning the same lessons, that very few people are fully committed to hunting. Many want to go, but they dont want to do the research, dont want to scout, and many arent even capable of comitting to an honest 7-14 day hunt. I dont want to be rushed and dont want to hunt with another guy if they arent all in and willing to do their share of the pre-hunt work and stay the entire hunt.

Of course, it also depends on the type of hunt, if I want to go along on someone elses hunt as a pack mule, a spotter, etc. I'll do whatever they want to do with THEIR hunt. If they want to hike 4 hours in the dark, fine...if they want to sleep in until 10...fine as well, whatever they want to do.

But, I've also come to the conclusion that when it comes to hard to draw tags, with short seasons, and with a trophy in mind...you better be relying on nobody but yourself. In fact, I think its real difficult when trophy hunting to have 2 guys with the same tag even attempting to hunt together. Its extremely difficult these days on public land to find 1 really exceptional animal, nearly impossible to find 2 or more in the same hunt. Plus, I've experienced that the excuses to get home once someone kills their animal come by the truckload.

The beauty of hunting alone is that its all on you how you go about your hunt. You own it, no excuses, no second guessing. You can come and go as you please, shoot when you want, dont have to listen to any whining (except your own), and you wont be messing up anybody elses hunt no matter what you decide.

I spent a lot of years hunting with other people and helping other people. I enjoyed it, and I still do enjoy helping others out with their hunts. However, I sacrificied a lot of personal hunting helping others. I dont have any regrets that I gave up a lot of my own opportunities, in fact, I wouldnt change a thing. I spent a lot of days with my friends, and more importantly my family, and I'm thankful for every day I spent with them.

However, its time for me to go after the things I've wanted and hunt how, where, and when I want to hunt.

To do that, you're going to have to go it alone...no other way to do it.

Buzz---I can't believe it, but we are pretty much on the same page with everything you stated in your last post!!! This is getting scary, LOL! I love to go out and help my WY buddy chase elk and will be doing that again in AZ on that 6A archery tag he drew, as well as that LE WY tag if he draws it again. I do most of my deer hunting solo, although I camp with John and a couple friends for the extra Bsing at night, etc. Hunting with somebody you think you know through the Internet can be a real disaster or it can be great. I had a great one in the Gila last year on a mulie ML hunt, but a disastrous one in WY with a guy from MN I thought I knew from several years on another hunting website. We met out in Gillette and headed down to set up camp in unit 27 where he drew an antelope tag and said he had previous experience hunting the unit. When we got down there a bunch already had a camp set up and he immediately told me he didn't know what to do. It turns out he and his boy had only been in a two mile square of that campsite and away we went searching for a place to camp and hunt. We found a decent spot right before dark and scouted all the next day for the opener the following day. I found a couple great goats and away we went to find them opening morning. We found one and he shot 3 times, twice while it was running, and once a foot over it's back at 125 yards while it was standing broadside on a hillside. He reloaded and away we went again and were onto another great one in less than 1/2 hour. The goat was about 700-800 yards to the south and I let him slip up a hill to get set up as the goat came our way to meet a band of goats to the north of us. I saw the guy get prone and all of a sudden a shot rang out and he got up and gave me a thumbs up. I went up and he said he got a good one and pointed to a hill at least 500 yards south. I walked it off and when I got to 350 yards it was still a long way to the hill and he said he had ranged the goat at 316! He kept saying that he just couldn't figure out why he missed when there was no goat on the ground when we got to the hill as I watched the same goat meet up with some does about 500 yards to the West. Then he said he had the scope reticle "set" exactly where he wanted it and I asked what he was talking about. He had a beat up Savage 25-06 with an old $75 Tasco scope on it and proceeded to take the elevation cap off and showed me 3 big black magic marker marks on it for what he said was 300, 400, and 500 yards, LOL! I almost shit when he showed me that scope and as we went back to camp for lunch I asked if he had a backup rifle because that cheap Tasco wasn't designed for doing what he was using it for. He got another old Savage in 25-06 out back at camp with a Mueller scope on it and proceeded to butcher a 10" goat that evening with 3 shots, one in the ass, at less than 200 yards and then had to slit it's throat for God's sake because it was still alive. After we ate and he got the goat boned out and on ice we went to bed. When we got up the next morning I suggested we go back to a pond that goats were coming to so he could fill his doe permit and then we could get serious about looking for a couple good mulies. He looked up as he poured some coffee and said he was getting a sore throat and cold and with that he packed up and headed back to MN on what was supposed to be a 10 day minimum trip! I actually think he was too embarrassed to continue the hunt after telling me on the net for several years about how great a shot he was and how he made his own rifles, etc. Boy, did I learn a lesson on that one and I had the rest of two weeks out there in country that I had never been in all by myself. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy and I really thought I knew that guy after 3 or 4 years of regular contact through that other website!!!

Khunter---I went through every Western state website and a couple in the Midwest and every one required "established" residency of from 60 days in KS, 90 in SD, 6 months in most of the others, and 1 year in WY like I mentioned in my other post. Anybody who tries to circumvent those requirements is asking for big problems. Iowa actually has extra paperwork a new resident has to fill out proving they meet requirements because the state has a new computer program to identify any nonresident that has had any Iowa license in the past. The reason they do that is specifically to catch people trying to cheat since the turkey and deer licenses have gone way up in price for nonresidents compared to residents. I'm also pretty sure that most states require you to turn in any other state drivers license when you apply for theirs, so it's just not worth the chance of losing your right to hunt in 38 states that are in the Wildlife Violator Compact if you get caught cheating.

Last edited:
the guy from minnesota seems to tell a different story about the "help" he received. and he didn't get banned from that other site.......

"Getting back to the toughest deer hunts....I would probably have to say mule deer because of my experience in WY this year.....The previous four years hunting mule deer in WY have been "relatively" easier than whitetails (at least for seeing bucks) The 5 bucks we have taken home to the midwest have tasted mighty fine...Our shooting distances ranged from 60 to 340 yards.......................But this year I found out how really hard mule deer or antelope hunting can really be....First you need someone to tag along with you everywhere you go for two straight days....They have to talk non-stop, scuff there feet in the rocks while you try to walk quietly in the softer ground.....They have to be real negative about every other person that they see on public land or public roads.......They have to call another person sky lined on a hill a half mile away a dumb SO#, even if they are skylined themselves while they are saying it.....They must bad mouth every one they have ever hunted with and even bad mouth people they are planning to hunt with......They must run down every hunter in every vehicle that drives along a National Forest Rd.....Every camp set up is full of dumb A## that don't get off the road....Every guy off the road is a violator.....They should not be able to read a topo map....They also should not be able to judge distance to any degree of accuracy...They should also not allow you to stalk an animal because they said no......They also should be able to foil any stalk you might make because they start talking when you want to hunker down and belly crawl....They should force you to keep walking against your own better judgment.....Then if you do get a chance to get away from them while they are fooling with their pack and you belly crawl up over a knoll and get a chance to range an animal at 368-374 yards and adjust your scope, adjust the harris bi-pod and squeeze off a good shot..........They should be totally negative about it and tell you you missed even though they were downhill a 50 yards behind and didn't see a thing...Then they should start blasting you about taking a long shot and spend several minutes blasting everyone who takes shots over 200 yards.....Even though they only took three practice shots with their rifle since last hunting season......Then they should not allow you to try your rifle because they don't believe in sighting in a rifle at camp.....At this point their total ignorance of ethical hunting is starting to wear on your nerves......They will refuse to look for blood with you and eventually more or less convince you for the moment that you missed......If that isn't enough they will not even help you get an animal out of the prairie or help you cut it up back at camp because they thought it was too small for their liking....They weren't even hunting that species (antelope).....Deer hunting might have been real good there but when the tag along person is a know-it-all and says there are no deer there.....There probably won't be and if there was a total lack of scent control and the non stop blabbering will certainly make sure there are no deer there.........Top that all off with an in-ability to get up and get ready in time to be out before daylight on opening day of deer season.....I have taken only about 200 whitetails in my 47 years of hunting them and only 3 mulies & 4 lopes in 4 years of hunting them but this guy which supposedly has 16 years hunting mulies with an undisclosed mulie tally (I really don't think he has shot more than a handful)and I believe only two or three lopes professed himself to be an expert actually wrecked my hunt and vacation with his self made rules and negativity..........Yep mule deer hunting can be the most difficult.......

Last edited:
Previous Post

Hey there troublemaker!!! Too bad anybody, including yourself, would believe anything in your post that you got from another member on YOUR website that has a big grudge against me just like you do. I quit as a member and notified the website owner where that BS post came from because he allowed that to be posted contrary to his website rules and it was well before there was any banning, LOL! For all that read this, please be aware that TLC has a longstanding grudge against me, just like another member on that website that is also on the TLC website and who sent it to him. Too bad he doesn't just go crawl in a hole and leave well enough alone because I've stayed away from him for a couple years, but this is the typical TLC coming out. Maybe some day he'll grow up and get over all this petty BS he pulls just to get his kicks!!! I doubt it though because this has been going on with him for at least 4 years and he just keeps following me around trying to make trouble. He has no idea what went on during that hunt in Wyoming because there were only two people involved and he wasn't one of them!!! Nuff said and now he will probably come back and tell us what a good boy he is, LOL!!! Incidentally, the guy from MN issued an apology on the website for making that post and it was removed from the website by the owner, but not until it was copied for revenge by the other yahoo I mentioned who sent it to TLC!!! This will be my only post on the subject because TLC will try to bait me into a pissing match and I will have none of it!!! The only reason that guy made that derogatory post is because I told him what kind of a POS he was for going home after 1 day on a 10 day hunt that was planned. He was real brave on his computer keyboard spouting all that ridiculous BS. In actuality, I didn't even carry a gun opening day out there and went along at that guy's request to try and get him a good goat because we were supposed to have a lengthy hunt for deer after he filled his goat tag. Unfortunately his lying is as bad as his shooting was on that WY hunt and anybody that reads that bunch of BS should readily be able to realize it!!!

Last edited:
TopGun,
I am aware of the Wyoming license situation, there are not general deer tags for NR's. You are correct that there are regional tags but NOT general across the state deer tags like there is for elk.

Thanks for the advice on the resident stuff. I researched this before I did it and I can tell you that it involved a whole lot more than just getting a drivers license to do this legally. Khunter is correct that you must turn in your drivers license and you can't apply for resident tags in more than 1 state. It also helps when you have family property and own a business in that state as well. Not to mention tax issues to think about. Vehicle registration. Insurance. etc..

Sounds to me like you and khunter have too much time on your hands worrying about what other people are doing and trying to act like police investigators behind your computer when in reality you don't know anything about the actual situation or it's legality.

Why does TLC has so many nice things to say about you?

Last edited:
wyo556, I am not the guy he went hunting with. but I do know the guy he went with. been on some other boards with him. seems their stories are a bit different. just want to make sure people don't get the wrong impression about what happened. and there is more that was not posted. the post I put up came directly from the guy that was there.

just read your entire post. love this part of it.

"Sounds to me like you and khunter have too much time on your hands worrying about what other people are doing and trying to act like police investigators behind your computer when in reality you don't know anything about the actual situation or it's legality."

not sure about khunter, but do know that the other one you mentioned was known as a "board cop" before he got banned from that site, also.

chit, just noticed tg's BS. he also forgets to mention his dog being brought along without letting the hunter know about it. the other hunter he mentions got sick, will leave the reason why alone. and why would it make a difference to you if he went home? you being the great hunter and all.

as far as following you around. was on the nahc site before you joined there. was on kennys site before you showed. was here before you showed. and you were the one that joined the board I started under a different name just over a year ago. so when was this 2 year period you talk about?. now, who's following who? leave it alone. would be a smart move. as far as the grudge, yep. pretty sure anyone who had their wife gone after like you did to my wife, over a name, would feel that way. guessing they wouldn't like someone sending e-mails saying they burnt their own house down either. the apology from the hunter was for putting it out in public. not for the information it contained. as he stated, it was all true info.

Last edited:
Back