MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting is going to be painful -

Calif. Hunter

or do I get a second opinion? I had knee surgery last year, and the pre-surgery MRI showed slight arthritis in my right knee. The last few months, it has bothered me more than it did before the surgery! I went in for another MRI the week before last...and I met with the same doctor that did the surgery. Now the MRI shows that my knee is "bone on bone" in the exterior section, and my knee cap is popping out of place! :BLEEP: I can barely walk in the morning when I first get out of bed or if I have been sitting too long.

He tells me that I am too young for a knee replacement - I am 55. My friend, who is a year younger than I am, is having a knee replacement next month. The options, according to my doc, are injections (non-steroid) to lubricate the knee. He says this does not work for everyone, but if it works at all, it is fantastic. He thinks it best to try this first before doing any more surgery. All he can do surgically, is clean up the rough, torn tendons and ligaments.

I think I am going to get a second opinion. I don't understand how I could go from slight arthritis to severe, bone-on-bone arthritis in 8 or 9 months. Perhaps the first MRI was inaccurate, fuzzy or ? Or maybe an infection after the surgery caused the loss of cartilage?

This is going to slow me down this year, but I'm not going to let it stop me! :mad:

Good luck!! I don't see how a second opinion could hurt, even if it just corraborates the first. I hope it gets worked out for you!

I am glad my knees aren't any worse than they are and after the last 9 days in sheep country can see how 'bad' knees could really hamper hunting. Worse case scenario, you can always take up whitetail hunting... ;)

I know of people that aren't nearly as old as you who have had knees replaced.

And, unanimously, they are grateful they did and it has given them a new "lease on life" as they had given up doing stuff they loved because of the pain in their old knees.

Go find another doctor. Don't do it for hunting reasons, do it for your son and being able to keep up with him.

Exactly, Jose. There is too much to share with him to let this get in my way. Playing ball, etc. Hunting is just one of those things as well as my favorite activity, along with shooting, including action pistol matches. I don't want to be eating advil forever and tearing up my stomach. I do not want the "quality of life" that I have endured (not enjoyed!) the last few months.

What was the recovery time for the knee replacements?

CH, the reason they say you are too young, is because they say the replacements are only good for 10-12 years. made my dad wait for 7 years to get his done. grandma had each knee done three times since she lived to be 97.

as far as the shot, if you can, make due with that. had 7 knee operations before the age of 18, and have lived with getting the shots ever since. another 28 years worth. not the best, but will get you thru.

I agree with a second opinion. I also am one who would put off surgery if possible. (I had a calcium deposit removed from my hip in July:rolleyes:)

Rick, I understand your pain though. My arthritis is happening in my back though.....no replacements for that. But I do try therapyhumphumphump:D

Boy Rick...

I sure hope it gets better...

I'm with those who say to put off the operation and try the injections...

The recovery for a knee replacement is progressive. It will be a solid 6 months before you are where you were, but my uncle who owns a family farm had his done, and he can work better than before now.

Back