Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunting in New Zealand for Tahr and Chamois

Kudubull

This May I am doing a DIY hunt for Tahr and Chamois on the South Island of New Zealand. I am having a little bit of a challenge pining down the exact hut location that I want to hunt out of. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hut that I could drive to and hunt out of that does not require extensive climbing gear for a mid May hunt for tahr and Chamois around Mt. Cook? Any input would be great.

tent next to car or up at the village,,nz deerstalkers have a hut around there at reasonable price,,plenty of place around mt cook to score although id get in touch with park office for where best spot for a chamois
im based in north island otherwise could have teamed up,,good luck
ps,,seen your post over here

Pretty steep first post asking for a location to hunt game on an international basis.

Less then 10 minutes from the backpackers by car will see you glass tahr right off the track. A quick overnighter up high will get you a good bull in an evening/next morning type timeframe.

Be sure to give us all a detailed hunt report so others can learn about your hunt eh.

Kiwi Hunter thanks for the info. met a few guys from the south Island that are helping me out. I should be good to go. Hunted many counties and most states. The people from NZ have been more than helpful in my next adventure. Thanks guys. Will let you know how it goes.

havgunwilltravel- I agree.....better for a man to die living than to live his life for fear of dying.

Probably going to be a fair bit of snow in May, best bet is get a chopper on a short haul lift and you will get accurate info on animal numbers as well. Try James Scott he's one of the good guys.

Its a shame I didn't see this post earlier as I was down that way in May. We hunted in a spot that had good road access and saw a number of bull tahr.

How did your hunt go?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back