Hunting In Bear Country

BKHunter

For someone who has never hunted in Grizz or Black Bear country, how would you recommend going about it. Setting up camp and protecting camp, what to do while hunting/packing out meat and also what to do if you do have an encounter. I haven't looked at hunting any bear territory and feel I'm limiting myself due to the unknown. Thanks for any tips.

I would start by reading Bear Attacks, Their Causes and Avoidance, by Stephen Herrero. Then don't let it go to your head. Bears are a potential hazard, but statistically not near as dangerous as driving to the woods in the first place. Follow some basic guidelines and you'll be fine. Probably. Of course, that "probably" is what makes an adventure out of it.

I would start by reading Bear Attacks, Their Causes and Avoidance, by Stephen Herrero. Then don't let it go to your head. Bears are a potential hazard, but statistically not near as dangerous as driving to the woods in the first place. Follow some basic guidelines and you'll be fine. Probably. Of course, that "probably" is what makes an adventure out of it.

^ This

For someone who has never hunted in Grizz or Black Bear country, how would you recommend going about it. Setting up camp and protecting camp, what to do while hunting/packing out meat and also what to do if you do have an encounter. I haven't looked at hunting any bear territory and feel I'm limiting myself due to the unknown. Thanks for any tips.

Where are you looking at going hunting? I would read up on that particular area and check to see recent bear activity. This could provide as useful information when planning your hunt.

1. Carry Bear Spray and know how to use it. There are practice canisters available. Then make sure it is accessible (hip level, clear of coat or whatever. )
2. Campsite: Cook away from where you sleep. Store food in bear-proof containers. Don't cook in the same clothes you sleep in. Hang meat far away. If you want to, you can get a portable electric fence that the videos make seem very impressive. If I were in a griz-rich environment I might get one.
3. Hunting: Eyes open, head on a swivel. This is probably the most unpredictable and dangerous part of being in bear country. You know to stay out of areas where they have daybeds, avoid wildlife kills, and alwasy watch wind. After you kill something, have a buddy keep watch. A gunshot has become a dinnerbell around here in MT.
4. Don't let it go to your head too much. The chances of you encountering one are very low, and of there being an altercation, even lower. Be aware, but don't be paranoid.

Trouble is, grizzlies like to day bed in the same kind of places elk do. Places with a little flat ground, shade (they're wearing fur coats), a bit of a breeze and water not too far, plenty of hiding cover, preferably where there is little chance of encountering a human.

I often share with friends who reside outside bear country, "I'll take a hike in bear country any day over a hike in rattler country... hands down!".

They do enjoy a your snack stick of beef jerky in your taco hammock though... or...

4103c34c06ce4c48ebd1f72314aa7145.jpg

Last edited:
1. Carry Bear Spray and know how to use it. There are practice canisters available. Then make sure it is accessible (hip level, clear of coat or whatever. )
2. Campsite: Cook away from where you sleep. Store food in bear-proof containers. Don't cook in the same clothes you sleep in. Hang meat far away. If you want to, you can get a portable electric fence that the videos make seem very impressive. If I were in a griz-rich environment I might get one.
3. Hunting: Eyes open, head on a swivel. This is probably the most unpredictable and dangerous part of being in bear country. You know to stay out of areas where they have daybeds, avoid wildlife kills, and alwasy watch wind. After you kill something, have a buddy keep watch. A gunshot has become a dinnerbell around here in MT.
4. Don't let it go to your head too much. The chances of you encountering one are very low, and of there being an altercation, even lower. Be aware, but don't be paranoid.

How far away would you recommend cooking from camp, and also how far would you hang meat? Would I also store and cook ware with my food along with any packaging from dehydrated food used? I am assuming all Yes to these food storage questions.

Also, IF you do get an animal on the ground and have to butcher it, would the blood and smell stay on your person? That would be one sleepless night.

I think the bullet points here concisely answer most of your questions.

http://www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.org/education/bear-awareness-hiking-camping/

They also list additional sources of info at the bottom of the page, if you want to read further.

As others have said, the risk is low and most bears will try to avoid you. Your greatest risk as a hunter is probably surprising a bear (after all, sneaking around quietly in bear country is right at the top of bear safety don'ts). Carry your bear spray and know how to use it. But in the grand scheme of a hunting trip, you probably have a higher likelihood of dying while doing just about anything else associated with your trip than being mauled by a bear.

The info from the Grizzly Discovery Center is good stuff. Also a really cool place to visit if you are ever down that way. As far as how far away for food prep and cooking, I'd say 50 yards is a good place to start and further if practical.

As for blood on you, I don't get very bloody when I field process a deer/elk. I have the shoulder gloves that I put on and try to stay clean as I can. Of course, I get some on me, but not gallons. You can garbage bag those overnight if you really feel like you have to, like in a backcountry situation. I would also sleep some good distance away from your kill.

Again, 98% of what I would be concerned about is surprising a bear: in a daybed, coming up to your kill before or after dressing it, or on a trail, or in thick brush. That is when you will have the issue. The last lower 48, bear attacked sleeping person in bed, in tent, I think was Yellowstone 5 or 6 years ago. And that has its own unique story.

Thanks all for the tips and advice. I definitely feel better about looking into MT and WY for hunting now.

Lots of good info here. I do a fair amount of solo hunting in bear country and pretty much follow all the same rules: bear spray, pay attention when hunting, camp away from where you cook/hang food, and be very aware of your surroundings after you have an animal down. I think the most dangerous part of the whole ordeal is surprising one that's asleep and/or having one come in and try and claim your kill. Bear encounters will happen if you spend enough time in the woods, but if you are prepared, I think you'll be fine. If you're really nervous, then hunting/camping with a partner is a great option.

I'd rather walk through grizz and rattler country than down the streets of a big city any day. It's all about learning what constitutes real danger and what is imaginary.

I think the bullet points here concisely answer most of your questions.

http://www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.org/education/bear-awareness-hiking-camping/

They also list additional sources of info at the bottom of the page, if you want to read further.

As others have said, the risk is low and most bears will try to avoid you. Your greatest risk as a hunter is probably surprising a bear (after all, sneaking around quietly in bear country is right at the top of bear safety don'ts). Carry your bear spray and know how to use it. But in the grand scheme of a hunting trip, you probably have a higher likelihood of dying while doing just about anything else associated with your trip than being mauled by a bear.

One of the tips says to not cook in the clothes you sleep in. I normally only carry and sleep in my hunting clothes. Does this mean I should bring a change to change into to solely cook or sleep in and then store what I wore when I cooked roughly 100 yards away from camp? Is this true and do people actually do this. From most people I have spoken to about back country hunting they don't bring multiple sets of clothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back