Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunting gear

Elkchaser12

Alright well it is time to retire my old camo that has been worn since the late 90s and get into some more modern stuff been looking into a few different kinds sitka, core4 and kryptek what is your opinion for value of price and quality?

I already had some Core4 (from Camofire) and for the money I felt it is good value for those of us on a budget. But, I was fortunate enough to win a Sitka Primaloft insulating layer jacket and I must say I LOVE it. It is so light and warm at the same time. Absolutely amazing piece. If you can afford it I would recommend the Sitka based on what I have seen so far.

Get whatever feels good and you like I say? All the stuff now is personal pref and much better than anything from 90s :) FYI - all 4X more expensive than in the 90s too.
note: I just watched Randy's CO mule deer hunt (Carbon TV). His best friend or 'long time friend' who assisted him, had some sweet blue 'sitka' pants maybe with gators. I was impressed and liked his style.
You will benefit greatly from light weight materials, breathability, feel, odor guarding, etc etc etc.

There is so much better gear out there now and it is only getting more competitive. To me, in terms of performance alone Sitka and KUIU win with First Lite gaining ground. Factoring in price 4 Core offers some great options.

Some other factor to consider are, KUIU's prices are competitive, but sales are limited. Sitka can regularly be found at local shops on closeout and if you're patient some screaming deals can be found. 4 Core is very often on Camofire and you can gather all the components in relatively short time. First Lite doesn't have the retail market penetration like Sitka, so deals are harder to come by.

Don't overlook shopping at REI, REI-outlet, Sierra Trading Post if you are open to solids. The "technical" hunting clothing that Jason and Jonathan started was just following in their footsteps. Again here, closeouts can be a huge advantage with many more products.

I have been using Sitka the past 5 or so years. I love it. It sometimes shows up on camofire and you can find deals elsewhere at times. Some brands do things better than others. I know people who use only Sitka, but use first lite in conjunction with their Sitka system.

The brands listed are obvisouly good ones. I own a number of pieces from each and like them all, however another brand I've been using and like is badlands camo. I love their packs, 2200, so decided to try the camo. They currently don't offer my favorite pattern, max1, but the quality has been great. For archery antelope and breaks archery I wear the cabelas microtex. It comes in various thicknesses, the light weight is very thin. As far as breath ability and staying cool in the heat it's the best I've used, just offers no rain protection. I also think that pattern is great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back