Hunting Clothing Rant by the Tall Husky Gentleman

I understand your plight. At 6'6" 265 lbs. it can be difficult to find proper fitting clothes. I currently use KUIU gear, and if one of the pieces I order does not fit me quite right I will have it tailored by my coworkers's wife, who was the head seamstress for a collegiate ballroom dance team and sewed for "Dancing With The Stars" for a few years. She is incredible and can make most things fit much better, if not perfect. Yes, everything she fixes for me comes back with several thousand sequins attached, but it fits right so what do I care?

Do you find the sequins serve as an attractant?

Those are not sequins. They are high-dollar mirage-inducing camoflauge, similar to the Bond car in Die Another Day.

Suggested retail price: your first born.

Those are not sequins. They are high-dollar mirage-inducing camoflauge, similar to the Bond car in Die Another Day.

Suggested retail price: your first born.

Dang, I always wanted a car like that. Camo pants could serve as a close second.

Yes, everything she fixes for me comes back with several thousand sequins attached, but it fits right so what do I care?

If you hunt CO, you may want to enter a certain HT's contest........:rolleyes:

I have a friend that gets his (and his young boys') Sitka and Kuiu stuff custom tailored by a friend of the families. Would never know the difference until he told me.

I have a buddy who is at the opposite end of the spectrum, not to mention my wife, who has the same problem finding quality clothes. First Lite, Kuiu, Sitka, Core4Element, list goes on... nobody makes a size small, let alone an x-small for my wife. I 6' 160lb and I feel like I swim in my first lite medium, there is no way my buddy who is 5'7' and 130lb. will fit into anything. I'm guessing that the margins are pretty tight for these companies and so they can't risk making sizes that won't sell well. I bet that they pick sizes that will fit the 25th-75th percentiles as those are the majority of their customers.

(Little correction first lite just started a women's line but only for base layers)

What pisses my wife off about women's camo is that she is 5'6" and 145 pounds and wears a 2X She camo jacket to be comfortable in. Talk about body shaming.

I'm 6'2"& around 185.
But I have real long arms,long torso and wide shoulders. Swimmers build.They called me "frogman" & Flaco when I was in ......nevermind:eek:42 yrs ago.
I have a hard time finding L tall . Some things are better XL ,coats and such.But sleeves can still be short and fit like a tent.
I also have 34" inseam & 33 waist.....no one makes that.
So I wind up with loose clothes which is OK for layering. Rather have baggy than tight.
M pants and XL shirt...lol. A bit baggy but very comfortable xcountry/hunting.

Cabellas has Micro-tex un-hemmed pants.Or did.
And large tall shirts. They actually fit real good on me.
I got 34W pants/unhemmed and hemmed them with pari-cord draw strings built in cuff area. Baggy.

Last edited:
I feel for you guys and hope you can find something that works. I am a fairly normal sized guy at 5'10" and 220 but I have large calf and leg muscles that make it hard for me to wear most underlayers. They tend to be a lot tighter than I like, and if I get a XL then they become lose and will slide off my non-existent behind. But hey, if that is all I have to worry about, I guess I'm lucky.

Try Day One Camo. They make all their garments one at a time so things are easy to get customized. When I ordered some stuff I talked with a live person that was able to suggest sizes based on my description of myself. The clothing was exactly as described and of good quality. It may be worth a call. Everything is pretty much customizable from fabric, pattern, and liners.

Look into propper brand for pants, They have a-tacs patterns, which are some of the best IMHO.

I'll give you ine thats tough. I'm short legged but long torso with a med heavy build. Without fail my pants look like parachute pants to fit my fat butt, and my shirts come untucked because of my long torso. Bibs would be the best alternative but I don't want to turn into my grandfather yet. Also, I second the gripe about womens clothing. My wife is tall but thin and has to chose between too tight on her hips or jackets that ride up and pants that fall down........on second thought I kinda like the fit of womens hunting clothing.

And we all thought sat phone service was expensive! I can see those InReach plans going through the roof

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back