hunting burns

midwesthunter

I have seen in a lot of Randy video's he likes to hunt the burns. Is there a typical time frame around when an area was burned that it is best to hunt it before canopy takes over or lack of under growth?

No. Each burn is different. If the burn was fast it may leave more behind. If it is slow it may burn more completely and take longer to regrow. Also depends on slope. Either way it’s gonna provide nutrient rich soil for a long time, not just an issue of canopy cover.

Here in west central ID we hunt countless burn areas from more recent burns to burns many years old. I like where green timber meets the burn pockets. Sometimes these burns are a mile long & who knows ho wide in places. At any rate green timbered mountain sides creeping towards the burns are great areas to consider! We call a lot of bulls where these two areas meet! I don't have a distance where most elk are located but it's not that far, usually within hearing them bugle from the green timber with the burns being close by! Areas can vary in their recovery depending on extent of the burn, many of the years past burns are now growing green vegetation in abundance! Worst part about hunting burns is the downfall you will have to navigate through or around. Some of it is brutal! (grin)

I took this bull in a burn that took place a few years back, you can see some downfall & all that short stubby growth. As I walked out I actually traveld through some hotter areas where the woods look like black tooth picks with little green undergrowth. Elk aren't far from burns that have had a year or 3 to recover!

ElkNut/Paul

Attachments

• Paul 2015 Five Point 25.jpg
    Paul 2015 Five Point 25.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 246
I have seen in a lot of Randy video's he likes to hunt the burns. Is there a typical time frame around when an area was burned that it is best to hunt it before canopy takes over or lack of under growth?

It all depends. You have to find out if it was a really bad burn where it completely charred the area. This might prevent the growth of new, nutrient rich, grasses and aspens. You can hunt a good burn as soon as a year after. Also any burn, no matter how old it is, is better than no burn at all. Look at OnX's burn layer. Another tip is to look for burns away from roads and major trails.

Good luck!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back