Hunting Boots

huntbux

I am looking for a new pair of hunting boots, cold weather. Looked at Kenterek, Schnees, Cabelas, Under Armour, and some other brands. Wanted to get some opinions and if anyone knew a place where I might be able to get a deal on a pair of boots. I appreciate any and all help ahead of time.

I own a pair of Kenetrek's and I hate them. They are the only boots that I've ever had that make my feet ache. My next pair of boots will be Crispi's. They are worth looking at.

Try on a bunch and get the ones that fit your feet.

Lowa, Meindl, Kenetrek, Asolo, Crispi, Hanwag, etc. are all really good boots, but if they don't fit you then you will never like them.

Buy your boots for their intended purpose, a stiff soled boot will not be as comfortable on a nice smooth trail, but if you are carrying a heavy pack on jagged rocks your feet will thank you in the long run.

That's my 2 cents, probably worth about 1/2 that.

Nathan

Boots are specific to the individual, what one guy might hate another guy will love. You gotta try on as many as you can and try and make the best decision regardless of name, price or personal bias.

I do know that as far as deals go, Kenetrek will often throw up some used boots on Ebay. Sierra trading post has good deals from time to time on classic backpacking brands. Camofire does deals from time to time, but tough to find that right time.

Try on a bunch and get the ones that fit your feet.

Lowa, Meindl, Kenetrek, Asolo, Crispi, Hanwag, etc. are all really good boots, but if they don't fit you then you will never like them.

Buy your boots for their intended purpose, a stiff soled boot will not be as comfortable on a nice smooth trail, but if you are carrying a heavy pack on jagged rocks your feet will thank you in the long run.

That's my 2 cents, probably worth about 1/2 that.

Nathan

Completely agree, and my only advice is if you can afford it, when you find a really good boot that your feet like, save up and buy another pair to have them on standby.

Something else to add is i have spent many long days in high elevations in a standard pair of low cut trail running type shoe, and there is some value to this lightweight option although some people do seem to want/need more ankle support then others. But then again i also like to hunt in barefoot (flat ground) or just socks when i can, (often in the mountains) and i have never had an ankle injury, yet.

Try them on and see what fits your foot. As was said earlier, there are many good brands available for pretty much any situation.

Kenetreks don't fit my feet well (specifically the heel) and I spent a long time, blisters, and more $ on insoles trying to make them work. Now I have a $500+ investment in a pair of boots and insoles that I rarely use anymore. In hindsight I should have returned them within the first month but I kept thinking they would break in or that I wold find the right insole and sock setup.

Think about the insulation as well. My feet sweat if I get too much insulation so I prefer uninsulated even during most cold weather.

I have some Schnee's backpacking boots that I love, but their insole was horrible. Made a big difference on foot fatigue when I replaced em.

npaden has good advice, try some boots on and test drive them at your home or office. If you don't like them, most good companies will return them if unblemished and you can try another. You might also consider people input on durability if any mention that.

I've had a pair of kenetreks for four years and have hunted them hard in some rugged and rocky country and they still hold up. The rubber has pulled away in some places and the insoles are not the best but those can be upgraded easily and kenetrek has good service.

Have a pair of Kenetreks that have only seen one season and I'm not going to give up on them though I experienced some discomfort described by others who have worn them.

Got a pair of Cabela's Outfitter Series. First pair remained waterproof for a month and sent them back for a replacement. New pair is still working as far as I know, but have less than a year on them.

I have been super happy with my Schnees Beartooth. They were new in 2008 and still going strong after 3 elk hunts and a lot of miles hunting pheasants.

I currently own 4 different pairs of kenetrek boots and love all of them. I wear the uninsulated mountain extremes for my go to hunting boot, have the pac boots for deep snow and late season, the hard tacticals are my everyday work boot, and I have the hikers for bummin around. The first pair of boots I bought blistered my heels but only because they were too small. They felt great in the store but wound up too small for the mountains so I went one size up and never got another blister on my heels to date.

I bought a pair of Kenetrek Terranes on Camofire last year, I think they are great. Just picked up a pair of Asolo's at REI and couldn't be happier. REI is a good place to buy as they will tell you to take 'em out on the trail and if they are not for you, they will let you trade them on a different pair no questions asked.

It's all about fit. Well, mostly. I like my Kenetreks Mountain Extremes and I like my White's Smokejumpers. My wife has very sensitive feet and she loves her Kenetreks. Only shoes that don't make her feet hurt. Go figure. Good boots THAT FIT are worth whatever you pay for 'em. The best boots that don't fit aren't worth whatever bargain you got. That's why I never buy boots over the internet.

Like most other I have tried several before finding what truly fit my feet. After several busts I settled in on the Lowa Tibet GTX Hi. I will wear them as long as they make them.

Hard part for me is taking them all out for test runs. Not a whole lot in Reno area as far as the ability to test out the boots. I had Rocky's and they were good for the price and lasted well but when they went both boots went at the same time and didn't even give a warning. I want something that will last with continual use. Snow, mountain, and other uses, even just general hiking. I also use the speed freaks by Under Armour for warm hunts. I will have to hit up Cabela's, Scheels, Sportsmans Warehouse in Reno if any locals have any other places let me know.

Reno has a Sierra Trading Post, which will have several boot options. Asolo Saslong GV have been a good boot for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back