NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Hunter mistaken for deer in Rusk county, Tx

huntin' lunatic

A 41 yr old man was shot dead after the hunter "thought" he was deer on Jan 2. The shooter was jailed on a felon in possesion of firearm charge. Still under investigation. Another senseless loss of life.

How many times have you seen a feeder or a stand right on a fenceline? Ain't sayin this is the case...just sayin..

Muzzle direction and bad judgement.

Yea, right! A lease I used to be on with my Dad near George West, TX was on about 1,000 acres of a 2,000 acre ranch owned by a doctor who thought he was top dog. We were on the south 1,000 and he had a second home up near the north property line and two stands right along the north e/w fence. The people on the huge ranch he bordered made a visit one day and told him if those stands weren't moved ASAP that he would be looking at a high fence around most of his property by the following season!!! From what I gathered down there over about ten years of hunting was that it's an unwritten law that you don't set up to shoot near a perimeter fence.

Last edited:
One of the elk I am happiest with talking was arrowed just after it hopped the fence from a ranching for wildlife property onto public. I have no regrets or qualms about taking any animal on public ground no matter how many seconds ago it was previously on private!

That is taking a big risk when hunting with a stick and string because the animal will go a ways before dying and it can lead to a real hassle trying to recover the animal even if he was on land where you were hunting legally. A buddy had that happen a few years ago and we couldn't get hold of the private rancher, who was known by most to be the jerk of the county, to get permission to go onto his property. To make a long story short, we went ahead because it was hot, late in the day, and we couldn't wait until the next day for fear of losing the meat. The rancher found the carcass a couple days later while checking his stock on horseback, knew we always hunted the BLM around that area and called the area Warden. The Warden was sympathetic to our plight, but told us he had to get along with the ranchers in his assigned area. My buddy ended up paying a $200 trespass ticket, but we figured it was still better than letting that big 6x6 that scored about 330" go to waste!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back