Are there any non-rural American hunters here?

TomTeriffic

Are there any urban or suburban avid sport hunters here? I ask out of curiosity since most American hunters, it seems, have a rural life background. Are there any hunters here raised in the suburbs or the city?

I was born in 1964 and raised in a suburban-to-semi-rural setting with horses and other farm animals nearby. Neighbors has a few sheep, goats, ducks, geese, chickens, horses and a couple head of beef on small properties. Yet, within a five-minute drive from home in a small valley northen California town, called Novato, there would be a large post office, a couple fire stations, major supermarket chains and a police department. The beach was about 30 minutes away and San Francisco was about 30 minutes south. This area was surronded by woodsy rolling hills with black/white Holstein dairy cows and red/white Hereford beef cattle.

At school, I only knew about two boys who hunted. This community was not much of a sport hunting community. Occasionally, I would see a rifle or shotgun on the back of some guy's motorcycle or in the gun rack of a truck. Fishing was more widely accepted in this local culture than hunting though there were coastal black-tail deer all over the joint. A handful of locals were duck hunters, dove hunters, pheasant hunters (there was co-op pheasant shooting nearby) and shot clay targets with shotguns.

There was a wooded hill right next to my boyhood home with deer. My mother was anti-hunting but would complain about the damn deer that came into her garden and had a feast. The local deer were feral, largely semi-tame. Always does and/or fawns to be seen but never hide, hair nor antler of a buck. The cowardly bucks always hid out under cover. My mother called the county sheriff on at least one occasion because, circa 1970, somebody was shooting a gun up on this wooded hill, in the dark of night, which was private property and posted against hunting. My mother told me how she heard from one of the local deputies that a fresh bleeding deer carcass was found up on this hill. A fawn. It must have been some young punk with a gun maybe. Our sheriff's department had bloodhounds for tracking. There was a time when young boys and younger men acted like juvenile delinquents with hunting weapons. Most hailed from the city: the concrete jungle. They were not raised with sportsman ethics. They just thought it "cool" to shoot animals dead with guns or archery bows and leave them, sometimes to suffer. Unfortunately, they did some unethical if not unsafe or unlawful doings. But I digress.

PS - I hope this kind of unethical behavior with hunting equipment is no more. I can't imagine rural-raised people do stupid things with guns and bows in the boonies.

Last edited:
I am born and raised in a city of 300,000+ population. I currently still call that same place home and started hunting when I was 18ish. A high school football buddy introduced me to quail hunting and I've been at it ever since. My pursuits now include big game, archery and rifle, but to be honest, chasing quail is still the outdoor pursuit that makes me happiest.

I was born in the suburbs but raised in the inner city in Indianapolis. The guns I was around until I was an LEO and later went into the Army were NOT for hunting animals. I had no family or friends I knew who had ever hunted.

When I was stationed at Fort Lewis, WA I had 2 soldiers that got me into hunting. First was a Joe from Texas who planned on hunting the training area but only had a Honda Civic and couldn't drive the fire breaks. I had a Jeep at the time and he asked me to drive him around for what I now know was scouting. He taught me about game trails, sign, bedding areas etc. Later that summer another soldier who was from Arkansas and I got to talking and he got me to buy a rifle with the promise of taking me hunting that fall. I got the rifle, zero'd it and was ready.

The first night he had me sit on a tree stump at the edge of a logging clear cut with the instructions to sit, be quiet and move as little as possible. With only about 5-10 minutes left in golden hour I heard a soft noise and only moved my eyes to see. Out walked a doe and fawn about 20 feet to my right. They fed and as the light faded were only about 10 feet in front of me.....clueless that I was there. I have been hooked ever since then.

I am born and raised in a city of 300,000+ population. I currently still call that same place home and started hunting when I was 18ish. A high school football buddy introduced me to quail hunting and I've been at it ever since. My pursuits now include big game, archery and rifle, but to be honest, chasing quail is still the outdoor pursuit that makes me happiest.
My city-raised grandfather hunted feathered game and deer just before my time. He was an avid coastal angler in my time. My rural-raised father shot rabbits with a 22 in his boyhood. My mother would not allow me or my older brother to get into recreational hunting or guns.

From age 1 week to age 35 I lived mostly in western Montana ... before it was overrun. I have lived in this Canadian city of 110K since 1989. Doesn't really seem that big though. I find the congestion in Flathead Valley much worse. My little 1929 home sits on a street one block long. It's a bit of a hike but I can walk to either of two grocery stores (about 2.2 miles each way). Quite a few bums around sometimes (several Native reserves in the area) but I never feel threatened. Never. I can be out of town hunting or fishing in less than an hour. Yeah, I'm a city dweller but it's the good life. A couple of the guys at the club who had to have their opulence statement big new homes built in the country were telling me the other day what they're paying for propane heat. Man, that was a panty-dropper!

I was born in the suburbs but raised in the inner city in Indianapolis. The guns I was around until I was an LEO and later went into the Army were NOT for hunting animals. I had no family or friends I knew who had ever hunted.

When I was stationed at Fort Lewis, WA I had 2 soldiers that got me into hunting. First was a Joe from Texas who planned on hunting the training area but only had a Honda Civic and couldn't drive the fire breaks. I had a Jeep at the time and he asked me to drive him around for what I now know was scouting. He taught me about game trails, sign, bedding areas etc. Later that summer another soldier who was from Arkansas and I got to talking and he got me to buy a rifle with the promise of taking me hunting that fall. I got the rifle, zero'd it and was ready.

The first night he had me sit on a tree stump at the edge of a logging clear cut with the instructions to sit, be quiet and move as little as possible. With only about 5-10 minutes left in golden hour I heard a soft noise and only moved my eyes to see. Out walked a doe and fawn about 20 feet to my right. They fed and as the light faded were only about 10 feet in front of me.....clueless that I was there. I have been hooked ever since then.
Washington state, I gather, was a SPORTSMAN'S PARADISE. I knew some Army sergeants in my duty section while stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma in 1990 who were Southern boys and went deer hunting on the military reservation that fall. They were married and had family housing on post. I was a soldier in the barracks so hunting game would not have been feasilble for me. No large freezer there. No kitchen. The married NCO's were in their own fraternity. In the service, you have to live in a "normal civilian-type" housing to make such pursuits as hunting practical.

Washington state, I gather, was a SPORTSMAN'S PARADISE. I knew some Army sergeants in my duty section while stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma in 1990 who were Southern boys and went deer hunting on the military reservation that fall. They were married and had family housing on post. I was a soldier in the barracks so hunting game would not have been feasilble for me. No large freezer there. No kitchen. The married NCO's were in their own fraternity. In the service, you have to live in a "normal civilian-type" housing to make such pursuits as hunting practical.
Unfortunately the hunting regulations and wildlife administration in WA is pretty laughable. There is beautiful country.....too bad the state is being run by the lowest common denominator at this point :(

Pasadena was about 200k people and still had orchards around and the mountains right behind, tho you could rarely see them due to the smog.
Sierra Madre was the little town we lived in next to it for a while and it was half avocado and orange orchards. Right up against the San Gabriel Mtns.
Grandpa lived in the San Gabriel valley next to walnut groves. I would shoot gophers to keep them out of the yards. 5 cents a head. Saved my $ in a bank that paid 5% interest.
Took my 1st buck above Eaton Canyon. My uncle David taught me how to use firearms and how to hunt, tho he never hunted that I knew then. He grew up in Conn. Hunted NM in the service around Los Alamos.

Los Angles county produced more dairy than all of WI back then, even with 8 million people.
Most of So Cal was still farmland.
Orange county had oranges.

I didn't grow up in a city but I Killed the 2nd biggest whitetail I ever killed near a golf course. There were 5 guys T'ing off smoking cigars 75 yards away when I double lunged him....

That count for any kind of street cred? lmao.

In the satellite view of where I was born and raised, there's exponentially more buildings, asphalt, and concrete than grass and trees.

There are as more people living within 25 miles of where i was born and raised as there are in the entirety of Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho combined

Last edited:
The Bronx is less than five minutes from where I grew up. Decent amount of non-rural hunters in NY as a decent number of families have properties in the rural areas or know friends who do. It's not a large number, but more than you think. We are able to get a 30 plus man deer drive every year with guys all within 45 minutes of NYC in NY.

I grew up in the concrete jungle. Born on a hot August day in a town of 15,000 people in the early 90s. :ROFLMAO: I grew up around hunting my entire life. Earliest memory was sitting in the decoys with my dad at 3.

I grew up in a rural community. I knew plenty of kids that did wildly illegal things, just for fun. When we went on duck hunting trips to ND, some of the guys I went with always packed rifles. I can say with a great degree of confidence that thrill killing is not restricted to urbanites.

I was born in 1960, in a small town in Northern Ireland. Hard to describe it as urban or rural, town was small, but 2 miles away is a bigger town, 3 miles the opposite direction another town, etc. There was no hunting. The average citizen didn't have guns. There was the occasional shootout with the British Army and police, and the occasional bomb. The only big game to hunt, shot back.
I've lived in the Flathead Valley since 1981, so kind of the opposite move from Ontariohunter. It isn't exactly urban, but it feels that way now.
I started hunting in the mid 1980s. I've always seen it as an excuse to get out in the wild, away from it all, something you can't really do in Ireland. I do kill stuff occasionally, but I see hunting as a way to get out hiking in the mountains, and a challenge to find an animal to kill. I'm not into shooting that much.
I try to find an animal of at least certain size, not because I need a trophy, but to make the challenge tougher, to prolong the season I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back