Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunt opportunity?

Dave N

So, the wife and I have been to Alaska 3 times now starting with a cruise/tour that whet our appetite for another trip. The next two trips were on our own exploring and looking for a place to call our own. She now wants to go back up in the fall to see the changing colors, Northern Lights if they are out, meet some friends again, house hunt, etc. We went fishing last time and had some fun plus brought home some to eat. If we go back up in the fall for about a week or a little more, would it be possible for me to get in a hunting trip? Not looking at one where I pack in for the duration, but a few days might be possible. Remember, the wife will be along for the trip. She won't go hunting but will stay wherever we decide to book a place for the trip. Guess I'll have to leave her with the rental car so she's not stranded. That means she drops me off somewhere and waits for my phone call, I do day trips "road hunting", or tag along with someone else with a vehicle. Sound possible? I'm thinking for a "quickie" hunt like this that maybe caribou would be a better choice than moose. Thoughts on this? We stay in Wasilla, so I could choose a specific side to get closer to a hunt area and cut down on driving time. That could be changed if needed. Not wanting to go up to Fairbanks though. Our main search area is the Matsu valley and that's where we want to stay near. Don't really want to pack a bunch of gear for an extended hunt but I know I'll need SOME. This whole trip was intended for another vacation together, but if I could sneak in a hunt it would REALLY mean a lot to me. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Just want to add I'm not looking for a chance to tag along with anyone. I'm just wondering if having a few days on a vacation trip would be worth going after a critter or not and what my best choices and chances may be. I see quite a few guys go out for the weekend and come home successful. Bambistew makes it look easy, but hey, that's him! I'll be leaving my wife to fend for herself a few days and she has a CREDIT CARD! :eek:

Last edited:
You have two options as a NR.

Black bears or moose near wasilla or within reasonable drive. Moose is pretty much a pipe dream in 2 days and no help to get it out. Tons of hunting pressure unless you walk a ways. Bears can easily be found off the highway with a decent hike.

Option two is a fly out, for moose or bou, but I wouldn't spend the money unless I went for a week, and a friend to go along. Fall colors are about done up north, popping pretty good around here.

I'm sure others may better ideas, but realy there are few quick hunts in AK.

One option I just thought... bird hunting. Endless ops and you can bring the wife along.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Without being a dedicated hunting trip it would be hard. Even spending 4 days it would be pushing it, plus leaving the wife alone. Bear, not too interested. I've got one from Idaho already so it's been checked off of my to-do list. Moose is WAAAAAAAY up at the top. IF it was possible, with a big IF, finding a legal moose would be one thing. Getting it out is another. I do have a friend near Willow that I had figured on giving a big share of any meat. If I was able to enlist his help, packing one out might get done quicker.

Oh well, never hurts to ask. Thanks for the opinion, Ivan. I might figure something out later on. It will be hard to go up there hunting and leave Lori at home. I'd never hear the end of it!

Good news! Getting an extra 3 days off before Christmas this year, making a full 2 weeks off. I talked her into heading west during that time instead of going to Alaska next fall. She's wanted to see the Grand Canyon, so we'll head out through Colorado and swing past the canyon before heading north to Jackson, Wyoming in time for the holiday. Maybe the elk will be heading for the refuge by then and we'll take the sleigh ride through there giving me some brownie points for being the romantic type! So now I don't have to worry about whether I could go hunt in Alaska or not. It's on my list, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinerbt
Back