Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How much & whom to tip

csutton7

How much should you tip the chef, camp crew, the PH, trackers and skinners on your Safari?? Here in the good ol' USA I'll tip my guide anywhere from a couple of hundred to $500 depending on how much the trip cost and how good of time I had and the camp chef(cook) $50-$100---but in Africa I'd think you would want to tip everyone, so if anyone has any pointers let them fly-------chris

Tip of $500 ? G-sus !!!! I'll be your guide :D :D

I talked to a friend that went there and the guide told him not to tip the Trackers more then 10-20 bucks something about more then that they have troubles because of the amount of their wage verses tips or something. Never been there but to me they should be the ones that get tipped alot more.

Moosie--no kidding--right now I wish I was my guide--- that $500 tip came after 3 staight years of smacking some fairly decent bulls--it may have been $400 now that I think of it--plus my business was doing pretty good, so why not for someone you like and does a very good job and if you can afford it--wish it was still like that--hopefully it will come back--but anyway, I've heard kind of the same on the trackers---basically I guess you can ask your PH or maybe your booking agent if you use one, but I'd like to hear from the guys who've been there or what JJ says you should do---chris

From what I understand most people go with 10+% of the daily rate to the PH, and then tell him to divy up as he sees fit to his crew... Talk with the PH about tipping anyone else. He may frown on you doalling out money. Most of his crew probably works for pennies on the dollar and if you go and give them 2-3 months salary for a "tip" the may not show back up to work for a month or more. One thing to consider would be to take some junk to give them like $10 sunglasses, American T-shirts, baseball caps ect, and leave the money to the PH.

a guy from AR posted this--

Since it includes dangerous game, a generous tip would be:
$100/day for PH;
$50/day to be divided among the staff as your PH directs; and
$10/day for the government game scout.

Back