How much water?

Summitthunting

Headed down to Durango in 10 days to hunt elk with my 16yr old nephew. Haven't done a backcountry hunt in ten years, so how much water do you guys go through per person per day?

I'm right with JR. I've gotten by on a liter before but was lacking energy big time. 2 liters minimum, 3-4 if possible

Right with JR but consumption will go even a little higher if exerting myself and breathing through mouth (flat lander gasping for the precious O2)!

I drink a lot of water here in TN, but in CO at altitude it's crazy. I went through 6L a day last year. I think it's a combination of no humidity, altitude, and physical exertion.

I carry a 3 L camelbak and a 32 oz Nalgene bottle as backup. With the 32 oz bottle as reserve I don't have to worry about sucking the camelbak dry. Water is heavy so carrying a lot makes you want to drink it to lighten the load. I have a bum knee and keeping hydrated works wonders.

When working hard enough to put down this much water don't forget to replenish electrolytes or you can still get really messed up. I've had a couple of elk packs that have found me blacking out (at one in the morning) lugging meat to the truck. Then the dry heaving starts. I guess convulsions are the next step, but I've never gone there.

I use Coco-Hydro in my water and it seems to help. Adds calories too.

I go through a 3 Liter Camelback and have atleast 1 more 32 oz bottle in the pack. I always carry a purifier pump and consume more water when it's available.

Good call on the electrolytes CC. I carry a couple packets of Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover that I put into my water on the mountain. Usually half my fluid intake is Water and half is Hydrate and Recover mixed in Water. Works for me.........

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

The idea of supplements is a joke. Flavoring water is one thing, but to suggest the human body needs more than just plain water is ridiculous.

Not sure how humans survived before Gatorade used Michael Jordan to increase sales...

"Hyponatremia is a condition that occurs when the level of sodium in your blood is abnormally low.

"Sodium is an electrolyte, and it helps regulate the amount of water that's in and around your cells. In hyponatremia, one or more factors — ranging from an underlying medical condition to drinking too much water during endurance sports — causes the sodium in your body to become diluted. When this happens, your body's water levels rise, and your cells begin to swell. This swelling can cause many health problems, from mild to severe."

That's from the link. Disturbing the ratio between water and sodium is the problem. I'm not saying that you need fancy schmancy products to maintain your sodium level. I prefer potato chips. :D

"Hyponatremia is a condition that occurs when the level of sodium in your blood is abnormally low.

"Sodium is an electrolyte, and it helps regulate the amount of water that's in and around your cells. In hyponatremia, one or more factors — ranging from an underlying medical condition to drinking too much water during endurance sports — causes the sodium in your body to become diluted. When this happens, your body's water levels rise, and your cells begin to swell. This swelling can cause many health problems, from mild to severe."

That's from the link. Disturbing the ratio between water and sodium is the problem. I'm not saying that you need fancy schmancy products to maintain your sodium level. I prefer potato chips. :D

The link states the exact cause, and it has nothing to do with electrolyte intake. It's caused by diluting electrolytes in your body.

I prefer Doritos... :D

Sun Chips in the green bag are really good too... :D

It's all about the balance of water and electrolytes.

Too much water and not enough electrolytes can be a very bad thing. If you are in a situation where you are drinking a lot of water to avoid dehydration, you need to up your intake of electrolytes, especially sodium.

Having just done a trip with limited amounts of readily available, clean water... I would say a minimum of 4L for drinking/cooking.

I prefer Glacier-aide

Attachments

• P1010245.jpg
    P1010245.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 269
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back