Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How much more are we willing to tolerate?

The persecution of every culture is atrocious. I think everyone should get their reparations. England and Romans I will assume the check is in the mail

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in AK, I believe that for subsistence tags, if Bulls/bucks are harvested the skull plate must be broken before the animal can be transported, so that "trophies" cannot be taken from subsistence hunts... There's certainly something to be said for that.

The whole purpose of subsistence hunting is so that you can eat. In my mind antler isn't on the menu... Any way to make it so that horns from subsistence tags in MT must be forfeited? Or skull plates must be broken to discourage shooting trophies on subsistence tags? Or maybe start by removing Sheep, Moose and Goats from these treaties?

In My mind, there is a huge difference between subsistence hunting, and shooting everything in sight under the guise of subsistence hunting. It is absolutely disgusting to me to see people follow the letter of the law while destroying the spirit of the law. It is also physically nauseating to me to hear of people shooting game under the guise of subsistence hunting so that you can sell the horns and hides to taxidermists. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it; it is illegal to buy or sell whole or parts of sport taken game within the state of MT. Is there any potential enforcement options on this side? I wouldn't think the treaties include provisions to sell subsistence taken game...

To me the more obvious issue is that these activities are not taking place on reservation land. Much of the activity is on PUBLIC lands. The very people committing the crimes are being caught red handed but because they are "native" then obviously its an act of racism that they are issued a citation and nothing comes of it. They continue to steal natural resources year after year and the only premise they have is a 99 yr treaty from the 1800's! If this isn't corrected it sets a whole new precedence not only for race issues but also private property rights.

Hmmm... If the treaty truly is expired... Throw 'em in Jail. Call me a hater or a bigot if you want, Laws are Laws and should be administered equally regardless of race, creed, ethnicity, political standing, or wealth. I don't care who you are or what expired agreements you might want to try and use. In my mind this would be no different than me trying to shoot 10 Elk in 2015 because I have expired tags that haven't been filled. If I tried that, I would expect that a game warden would make a hell of a case about it, and I would be facing penalties. I wasn't aware that the treaty and an end date...

If the treaty is actually expired, and the hunts are taking place in Montana instead of the reservations, it should be handled no differently than if a Canadian were to shoot an Elk in Montana without a tag. That's poaching, pure and simple. I would imagine that these situations would drastically change if game wardens seized a few trophies and rifles...

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back