Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

How much $$ is "enough"?

Let me start by saying I'm not even sure if this was the best place to make this thread or not. Next, I'll give you some background. I'm a 26-year-old Afghanistan veteran who now works as a police officer. I love hunting, camping, fly fishing, backpacking, Harley Davidsons, and so on. You get the point. I make a decent amount of money, more than I ever thought I'd make with my last-minute college career choice after returning from overseas.

My shift partner is also an avid outdoorsmen and we got to the 0300 cup of coffee going and began the never-ending "money" talk. "What would you do with a million dollars?". Everyone knows that routine. Well, we both decided with "just a little more", we'd be able to hunt wherever, whenever and whatever we wanted. We each gross in the mid-50k range. After student loans, wives, babies, and our hobbies we finally had a realization that we needed more to do the hunts we wanted each year. We both decided that we aren't talking $20,000-$30,000 trips to Africa but would like to do an elk hunt, deer hunt, etc each year and not be divorced or broke, or both. So, in your opinions, how much is enough for you to do the hunts you want each year? Do you sacrifice other hobbies for hunting? Do you give up the new pickup every 2-3 years and drive a 99.5 7.3 Powerstroke (seriously, I do) so you can afford points and tags each year? Do you go on one big hunt every 5 years (Alaska bear *expensive*) or do you prefer to do the close-to-home trips and hunt more frequently?

Now, if this doesn't make sense and I'm just rambling let me know. It's 0345 here and I'm honestly exhausted. Time to put the keyboard away.

Question #1..............Does your wife have a good education and career, and contribute equally to the family expenses? This cost me my 45 gorgeous acres I bought with my money, the home I bought and built with my two hands, my retirement, and all my dreams. So this question plays a huge one in your future plans.

Last edited:
I got an Alaska Airlines card and put things like fuel and groceries on it. I spend the money anyway, why not get flyer miles too? Just make sure you pay the bill in full every month. I use these miles for trips to Alaska for fishing and hunting.
I put $20 a week in my Alaska fund-that's $1,000 a year. Sometimes I use it to hunt deer in Montana instead. I tell friends and family that I prefer cash gifts. I accept all gifts but prefer cash. I tell them I really want to buy a new rifle, scope, pack, etc.
I minimize the amount of $$ I waste. I quit tobacco and drinking. I don't respool my reels a couple times a year. I don't pay others to paint my house or shovel my drive, I can do that.
As a result, I go to Alaska every year. I live and hunt in Idaho every year. Some years I drive 12 hours to Eastern Montana and hunt. I fish in several states every year.
I pay all my bills and my family has everything they need so there is never any real sacrifice. Avoid interest!!! If you do nothing else or hear nothing else, AVOID INTEREST!!

..... Forget fishing. Fishing is expensive. Sell your boat if you have one.

I agree. It does come down to your priorities or drathers. I love fishing, so I bought a kayak a few years back instead of a boat. It's a one time payment and great exercise! I've rowed that thing quite a few miles in the last two weeks fishing area lakes, which I look at also helping me get into shape for my elk hunt.
Point being, if you do have a hobby, you don't necessarily have to drop it, just find cheaper means to do it. Alot of times that equates to more physical ways to accomplish that hobby or even other activities. Which is a good thing.

Hey brother, as a recent transitioning Soldier, this post resonates strongly with me. I too decided to get out after six years in, and also to chase the outdoor endeavors I never could on active duty. Hopefully you're able to make it so you can chase those tags and big game animals as I plan to do so as well.

Question #1..............Does your wife have a good education and career, and contribute equally to the family expenses? This cost me my 45 gorgeous acres I bought with my money, the home I bought and built with my two hands, my retirement, and all my dreams. So this question plays a huge one in your future plans.

Oh yeah, she makes around 42-44k a year, has 2 bachelors degrees... Well, she's a teacher. Contributes a lot by correcting my horrible grammar and math skills!

I would say this will have a ton to do with how accepting your wife is to the idea of you taking a small vacation without her each year. I am very lucky in that regard, as I get out west 2-3 times a year from MN.

Bottom line, it is easy to trim your own spending habits on hobbies to find the money to hunt, but time is something your family shares, so if she is not on board no hunting trip is worth it.

For what it's worth for 2k a year you can plan a hunt, and aquire or upgrade a piece of two of gear.

I would say this will have a ton to do with how accepting your wife is to the idea of you taking a small vacation without her each year. I am very lucky in that regard, as I get out west 2-3 times a year from MN.

I'd have to say I'm also very lucky. I haven't hunted black bear in MN the last couple of years so I can save for other ventures. She told me I should do both if it made me happy. Now, I just need to find overtime or a second job under a rock.

Bottom line, it is easy to trim your own spending habits on hobbies to find the money to hunt, but time is something your family shares, so if she is not on board no hunting trip is worth it.

For what it's worth for 2k a year you can plan a hunt, and aquire or upgrade a piece of two of gear.
Agreed! Kitchen passes are much more difficult than financing a trip or two a year. Gets even more complicated once you have kids and they get involved in sports/activities. I hate missing my kids practices/games especially since the burden of getting them there is all on her when I'm away. I do my best not to miss much, but that becomes unavoidable...

I figure every day in the field cost me at least $100 across the course of a whole season and only goes up from there. Things I like to track are how many hours per season I spend driving and days afield to getting a better overall understanding of my expenses. Like it or not its rare to not lose break or wear out a few hundred dollars in clothing and gear to sustain the same level of equipment over a given year.

Once you start talking about building points its really more about being able to float a few hundred dollars/species/state for 1-3 months than they outright cost unless you are talking Wyoming where just just spend a flat annual rate or states with a hunting license plus points rate. If I had to put a number on building points I'd say an account with a few thousand that just sits there and is ignored. Some states like Wyoming you can apply via credit card towards the end of their deadline and get a refund before your statement is due if you watch statement cycles. Colorado would be the opposite as you hand them $600 in early April and don't get it back until July.

As far as money goes the best advice is to figure out how much money you need to live comfortably and then find a career that pays that and focus on achieving that.

If you ever have a desire to hunt things like sheep, moose, goat in the lower 48, I would invest in points now. In particular if you're already applying for deer, elk, pronghorn and can maximize the expense of a required hunting license. In states like NV, AZ, UT, you don't have to front any tag money to gain points, just application/point fees once you have the hunting license. Wyoming would cost you $175 a year just for sheep and moose points.

Also, your financial situation is likely to change for the better over time, so investing in points now, then being able to afford to actually apply later is a good strategy.

There were years when I first started seriously applying, I didn't really have the time or money to actually draw, so I just applied for points. Now with 5-10 weeks of vacation time a year, and more disposable income, I apply for just about everything.

That strategy has worked well for me.

When you start to apply to draw, I would have about 6K on hand to front tag fees. Currently, between my wife and I, we have over 4k out there rolling around in draws. By the time Montana sheep, moose, goat is due...probably have over 9K out.

The good thing is, a sheep, goat, or moose hunt isn't any more expensive to do other than the tag fee.

For me, I'd like to have about $5k a year that I could set aside for buying points, gear, tags, and travel. I've been doing it on around $2k/yr the last couple, but another $2-3k would open up a lot of options and flexibility in planning for future hunts. That'd be sufficient for two big game hunts (mulies, elk, pronghorn, coues, etc.) and a long weekend duck or turkey hunt or two. The biggest thing is being able to float a few hundred to a few thousand at a time for draws and have the vacation time and ability to take time during the seasons to actually hunt.

My wife isn't a hunter but fortunately has allowed me to basically do as I please since I started hunting a few years ago. The next few years might have a lot of change in store though, as we look at having kids. I want to get a couple hunts scratched off the list before then, like elk and coues deer where they're a bit of a time commitment compared to other species. Living in Chicago it's always a minimum of a 2 day commitment for travel beyond the actual time to hunt so typically there's at least 4 days involved in going somewhere to hunt out west. For elk or coues it's more like a 7-9 day commitment potentially.

I'd like to hunt sheep one day as well, but the way the points are going I'm not sure if it's worth it to be buying points for 10-15 years or just start putting money away in savings/investments and bite the bullet and pay an outfitter and go to AK down the road on a sure thing.

I quit drinking... so there is never any real sacrifice.

Great post, love the "avoid interest" part, except if you quit drinking there is a very real and LARGE sacrifice. Cold beer after a hot day working or climbing hills is organsmically good. Same with a hot whiskey after a cold day skiing.

Back