PEAX Equipment

How many batteries to take for Garmin Oregon 600T?

wolfpup

This is my first hunt with the new GPS and want to take enough batteries. How long are batteries holding for you guys on these things. Going to be gone for 6 days, how many batteries do I need to take?

Uses 2 AAs and should use the Lithium type. Lithiums will last around 16 hours. Plain AAs last about 3 hours. Also, a Lithium rechargeable battery pack option.

If locks up, take batteries out.

I have the etrex20, and take 1 set of lithium AA's for every 2 days of hunting. They don't weigh much or take up lots of space. Plus if I turn down the brightness and don't play around much I can get a set to last me a week.

My battery pack lasts all fay, about 12 hrs. I carry spare lithium AA as back up. I charge every night.

Dec use lithium batteries much much better and turn the screen brightness down to a low setting. I get great life outta mine carry a spare set I would think. But it's gonna vary to how much you use it in the field.

Thanks guys, That confirms my estimate. I will take 20 batteries total. I will figure 4 per day of heavy use since this will be my first outing and adjustment period. The shelf life is good, so whatever I don't use I will have next year. I always carry a spare set on my pack for the GPS, headlamps, and spot device.

I use rechargeable NiMh batteries and plan for a set each day. Depending on how cold it is sometimes they will last a couple days and some days (very cold) they won't quite make it a full day.

I carry a complete set of batteries for my Garmin 64st at all times. I also carry a portable solar charger in the event I need to charge up. May be a little extra weight, but the peace of mind is worth the effort.

Lithiums seem to have about 4x the life of other batteries . I don't like having to change batteries while in hunt mode.

I get 48 hours at a minimum on my 600 with 2 Lithium AA's without turning it off or being stingy about power consumption. One AA a day seems to work for me.

Thanks guys, That confirms my estimate. I will take 20 batteries total. I will figure 4 per day of heavy use since this will be my first outing and adjustment period. The shelf life is good, so whatever I don't use I will have next year. I always carry a spare set on my pack for the GPS, headlamps, and spot device.

You can get pretty good battery life, if you do not leave it on all the time. Use it for way points, boundary checks etc., and then shut it off. If you are all hung up on tracks etc., you will eat lots of battery time.

I use rechargeable NiMh batteries and plan for a set each day. Depending on how cold it is sometimes they will last a couple days and some days (very cold) they won't quite make it a full day.

You make a good point - keeping the unit warm will extend battery life. I carry my iPhone in a shirt pocket to keep it warm, but put it in a ziplock to keep moisture off it.

I have a Garmin 60 CST unit. It takes 2 AA batteries, and the user manual says to NOT use lithium's as they may have high voltage when new and could fry the unit. So, I always carry a spare set of alkaline batteries for it. I also leave my unit on all day long in hunting some places. On average, I get 2 - 3 full days on a set of alkaline's. When they get depleted, I sometimes put the GPS in my shirt pocket to warm it up and get even more life out of them.

I must have a better one than most. I only changed the batteries once in 5 days of hunting. I set my waypoint from where I left the trailhead or road and then checked off and on every once in a while throughout the hunt and when I was stopped for a break and wanted to view the topography. Not sure how often you other guys are looking at it but it certainly wasn't my experience that it burns through batteries. I used Energizer Lithiums.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back