Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2023 Sask WT adventures

Sask hunter

Well I’ll start this off by saying I don’t have high hopes for this fall. I haven’t deer hunted till today but with all my elk, moose and goose scouting I haven’t seen many deer let alone anything good. A few hard winter in a row will do that. Also it was a dryer summer and the cattle on the private land I hunt seemed to have really hammered where I can hunt. That combined with a new crop rotation makes my number one deer spot not seeming as good. Anyways put a bait out on public today. Seemed like a good spot several main trails come together here then web out. My cell cam wouldn’t connect so put a normal cal out but forgot batteries so it’s running on some very weak batteries so we will see how long it lasts. Plan to get back out this weekend for more scouting and replace batteries. Next week when the cows come out I’ll get my other three baits out in their usual spots to see if anything big is around. It I can’t find anything good I might travel a couple hours and hunt with him. He’s very picky so I’ll gladly shoot the deer he passes lol. Anyways follow along for my fall of WT hunting and my quest for a new PB

IMG_1410.jpeg

I think this is the buck I will target as long as he sticks around. Part of me wants to give him one more year to see what he turns into but I don’t think I have that level of self control. But we will see. He’s for sure younger then that heavy 5x4 in the post above
IMG_1440.png
IMG_1439.png
DSCF0105.jpeg
SYFW0677.jpeg
SYFW0250.jpeg

Nice scrape found near one of my baits. Not many deer like expected I think maybe 6 deer would be the most on any bait. Not like back in the good days of 2021 when I had 11 or 13 does in one picture. Next weekend I’ll drop a couple baits that aren’t producing. Can’t wait to see what else moves in and hopefully sticks around
IMG_1438.jpeg

Anyone want to guess age on that non typical? I am honestly seriously considering letting him go one year. It’s a gamble but might pay off big. If that’s the case I’ll chase that heavy 5x4 with the tank body. He’s the boss buck so maybe getting him out will
Keep that other one around. Maybe that non typical will wonder away chasing does or maybe bust half his rack off. Guess we will see. November 15 season opener is a long ways off still

Anyone want to guess age on that non typical? I am honestly seriously considering letting him go one year. It’s a gamble but might pay off big. If that’s the case I’ll chase that heavy 5x4 with the tank body. He’s the boss buck so maybe getting him out will
Keep that other one around. Maybe that non typical will wonder away chasing does or maybe bust half his rack off. Guess we will see. November 15 season opener is a long ways off still
I’m a first legal animal, meat hunter type but it would be cool to see what that guy turns into next year, if you’re flush on bucks. Would make a pretty sweet hunt recap next year.

I would shoot either, both great bucks and bigger than the deer that I shoot. However, since you asked I’ll give you my opinion. Shoot “The Boss”, he’s a great buck and who doesn’t love a big 8 or 9 pt. Let “Fancy Rack” live and he might be the buck of a lifetime if you can track him down next year.

I’m a first legal animal, meat hunter type but it would be cool to see what that guy turns into next year, if you’re flush on bucks. Would make a pretty sweet hunt recap next year.
Fortunate to have put a big elk in the freezer so I won’t be starving anytime soon that’s for sure

I would shoot either, both great bucks and bigger than the deer that I shoot. However, since you asked I’ll give you my opinion. Shoot “The Boss”, he’s a great buck and who doesn’t love a big 8 or 9 pt. Let “Fancy Rack” live and he might be the buck of a lifetime if you can track him down next year.
I like the names. I’m sticking with boss buck for the one but thinking goofy for the other as he has that slightly messed up pedicle on the one side

Same deer from 2022 to 2023?? Has the same messed up right pedicle can see a baby kicker off the G2 last year. Also last year he broke off half his rack so couldn’t tell what was going on there
View attachment 300606
View attachment 300607View attachment 300608

If that buck blew up that much in a year I think you would be cheating both of you if you killed him this year.
From the pictures you have posted in the past it seems you don't have a shortage of mature deer to hunt every year.
To have a chance to hunt something exceptional is rare.

My bush bait is on public land. It’s been getting better this week a few does hanging around and a few deer coming through in daylight every day. Goofy the non typical showed up here at noon today. 1.5 miles from his original sightings. He’s now in an area where guiding is happening. I may be able to pass him but a guy on an outfitter hunt will hammer him I’m sure. This cool old guy is becoming more daylight active now
11120784.jpeg
11110759.jpeg
11080662.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back