How important is it to you to own a Handgun?/ Tangent CAR THREAD

2rocky

Do you feel like you need a handgun in your collection?

Up until this March I had a Ruger revolver in .357/.38 and I really kind of forgot I had it. I seldom wanted to carry it, and I sure shot my bow a lot more when I needed "target therapy". I've never been in a situation where I felt I needed it to protect me, and the only animal it killed was a Cancer Eye Cow in 1996.

Now that I DON'T have it, I feel empty. I've been eyeing a Taurus 608 as its replacement. I don't want an Automatic. I want something jamproof and mechanically simple and safe. To me that means a double action revolver. I like the idea of 8 shots. I like the ported 4" barrel.

Last edited:
My grandfather has several, my father has several, my brother has several and I have two. I got a quickdraw revolver and holster for the 18th birthday and always take one when hunting , fishing, camping.
Need and want are very different things. Need? eh. want...yup. That's why I have a dozen of them
I agree. However in my mind, I like them and feel safer when I have one.

I own a few pistols just cause I wanted them. Haven't shot them in over a year though. I've never taken one hunting, yet, but I have taken one on some hikes in Griz country. I would like to get a few more over time but I'm in no rush to go buy another any time soon.

I own two handguns. Regular M&P .40 and a Shield 9mm. I'd rather shoot my bow than a handgun any day. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep if I didn't have either of them, but the Shield is a nice little gun and I do carry it once in a great while if I'm going somewhere a bit iffy. With young kids in the house they make me uneasy anytime they are out of the safe, even if they are on me.

Have three DA revolver's. 38 Spec, 32 long and 22 lr. Really a hoot to get out now and then and shoot them but even if I go small game hunting, I might carry one along but the primary gun is a rifle, I shoot rifles much better! I also have four semi autos. A 32 ACP I never shoot, a 22lr my most accurate handgun, two 9mm auto's. One 9mm is a S&W Shield and if you see me it's well in reach. Didn't carry for a long time after I retired but son kept after me to get the license and I finally did and I doubt I'll ever have to shoot someone but if I do, gonna feel awful silly with the gun sitting home on the head board. I am very aware of where I am all the time and I avoid places I might need a gun but you never know and my shield is very lite and I don't even realize I'm carrying it. I think if more people would carry it would do a lot to reduce crime. Bad guy's think all those people have a gun, they just may walk away before opening up. I spent 30 yrs driving trucks 49 states and Canada and have been into every hell hole in the country, carried all the time but still was very aware of my surroundings and never risked harms way. never needed the gun. That's the positive side. The down side is you never know when you might need it and then all the rest of the times don't matter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back