How far do you normally shoot? (Rifle)

From 80 yards to 375 yards (follow-up finishing shot) with most around 200 yards. Have passed a lot of shots in wind or with moving pronghorn. Have had around 20 pronghorn tags and skunked three times though could have filled those three tags but was holding out trying to find irregular horns in units not known for big horns. Only two hunts were on private land, a Texas landowner tag a buddy had to take as part of a deer lease yet did not want to hunt pronghorn anymore and a Wyoming tag where bumped into a landowner at a hardware store on eve of season and he invited me to hunt his property.

You might be able to get closer shots. If you spot herds on land you can access where are some ravines or hills then should be able to stalk in closer. If the area is flat then getting close is much more difficult, especially if a lot of orange vests in the area keeping the pronghorn stirred up. I like a few other active hunters as they keep the pronghorn from bedding most of the day by bumping them and then I try to figure out where the pronghorn will go rather than try to stalk where the pronghorn are currently located. Some people swear by walking behind a cow decoy. Others swear can wave a white flag to get a curious buck to run towards you. Others have luck sitting water in a dry year. I have had luck along multi-strand fence lines where there is a gap or the lower strand is propped up with a stick or two. I have also had luck using a stationary decoy but on public land this can be problematic as would be wearing a hat which looks like a pronghorn.

I regularly shoot out to 1000 yds, but I've never shot at a live animal beyond 260 yes. Nor have I ever lost out on an animal because I couldn't get closer. I'm pretty mystified by the pull of modern hunting artillary, I really just don't get it.

These are my thoughts as well...How many of you are shooting 200+ because you can or because you have too? For me the hunt has always been about how close I can get not how far I can shoot.

I regularly shoot out to 1000 yds, but I've never shot at a live animal beyond 260 yes. Nor have I ever lost out on an animal because I couldn't get closer. I'm pretty mystified by the pull of modern hunting artillary, I really just don't get it.

Just because you can't, doesn't mean others shouldn't.

T Chris, Cushman nailed it. It's all about you and your equipment. what kind of groups are you shooting at 300? 400? 500? Consistency? Can you do the same thing once you leave the bench. Alot to consider. I can tell you though that you probably won't notice a handicap with a limit of 300. In wide open lope country I would say there is a 50/50 shot of getting closer. My last antelope I killed had me pegged way off. I was able to get to 430 before him and the does got nervous. Having the ability to shoot that far got me my goat at that moment. Chances are if I hadn't been able to shoot that far, I would have had other opportunities though.

Exactly, everybody's different in their abilities.

As I read OP he was inquiring as to typical ranges to help him decide if he had to extend his abilities for longer ranges than he was accustomed to, or his scope was up for. Perfectly logical question, and not one that is answered by “shoot to your individual capabilities”.

Between myself my brother and my son we have taken 6 antelope. My first and longest antelope shot was just over 400 yards, my second was about 150 yards and my last antelope in 2014 was about 50 yards. When my son took his 2 antelope one about 200 yards and his last one in 2015 was 240 yards. My brother took his at about 250 yards so I wouldn't worry about needing to shoot really long range. Non of us has one of the latest wazzoo dial-in scopes on our rifles and we have done just fine.
You setup will serve you well.

The three antelope I've killed must have been related down through the years. They all stood about 275 yards out there for me. Of course, only on the last one did I have a laser range finder to actually see 275 in the window. On the other two, 275 yards sounded good in the story-telling. :)

I've shot 74 pronghorns, close of 32 yards and the farthest was 421...average 186.9 yards.

Honestly, most of the time I could get closer, but I've found with pronghorn you can get away with a bit more movement once they're past 150 yards or so. If you get nearer to 100 yards, lots of eyes and they'll catch about any move you make.

I would rather take a shot at a calm animal at 150-200 all day long, rather than shooting at one that's nervous at 100....I think my average shot distance displays that pretty well.

Last edited:
I've shot 74 pronghorns, close of 32 yards and the farthest was 421...average 186.9 yards.

Honestly, most of the time I could get closer, but I've found with pronghorn you can get away with a bit more movement once they're past 150 yards or so. If you get nearer to 100 yards, lots of eyes and they'll catch about any move you make.

I would rather take a shot at a calm animal at 150-200 all day long, rather than shooting at one that's nervous at 100....I think my average shot distance displays that pretty well.

74?! Good Lord! Much respect Buzz.......

What is your chambering of choice if I might ask?

74?! Good Lord! Much respect Buzz.......

What is your chambering of choice if I might ask?

I've shot a bunch with 6MM Remington, quite a few with a 7 RM, and lately 7-08. Shot some with a 30/06 and a couple with a .22-250.

IMO, I think anything in the .243-7MM range is a good choice. If everyday was without wind, I'd prefer the .243/6MM.

I've taken somwhere between 30-40 antelope. Closest shot was 20 yards, furthest was 360. Typically, I'm in the 100-200 yard range. I find there is almost always a way to get inside 200 yds, even if it means waiting for one to make a mistake. Evently, it will happen. ..

I find there is almost always a way to get inside 200 yds, even if it means waiting for one to make a mistake. Evently, it will happen. ..

True. I've spent more than 6 hrs following a herd, waiting for the right chance. It came eventually, just before dark at just over 180 yds. It was a memorable hunt to say the least.

Hunting in the East, long shots don’t often present themselves so I don’t have a ton of experience shooting long range. Of around 20 white tails I’ve shot, only one has been more than 250yds and only 2 others more than 200. Most have been less than 80. I shot my antelope in Wyoming last year at 220. My personal limit on what I’d shoot is 350yds, as without a bench rest at the range, I’m not consistent enough at that distance to be confident I could make an ethical shot.

I shot my best buck at about 60 to 80 yards last year. My first one was 100 yards and one down in Wyoming was 150ish.

Been on a couple shoots with some longer range stuff, but overall it seems as if 150-250 is about the 'norm' for quite a few people.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back