Caribou Gear Tarp

How close is too close...

ERSS

Went ice fishing a few weeks ago and thought it was crazy how close some people got to the edge of open water. That open water is right in front of the dam, and 40+ feet deep. One group was out there with their kids about 5 to 10 yards from the edge. Seemed a little nuts to me, I spent most of my day hoping they didn't fall through.

Anyone had any close calls when fishing on thin ice?

Attachments

• IMAG0403.jpg
    IMAG0403.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 578
WOW! Thats nuts to me. I fell through the ice and caught myself with my hockey stick about 20 yrs ago. . .so I'm a little gun shy!!

It is sometimes unfortunate that children are reliant on the common sense of their parents to keep them safe.

I've a tough enough time in a boat covering a large area. Trying to wrap my mind around dropping a line straight down 1 single hole... Yet my friend does very good. I've seen people out in slushy warm weather ice and just shake my head. What you describe in view of family would have me packing up. That qualifies as the insanity in Big Sky's post well over his driving conditions! Well, the Albertans are a close tie...

crazy

Missouri River, SD last March, 2013. Guys were getting out of perfectly good boats to walk on the ice and catch walleyes by dropping jigs through the 4"-12" cracks in the ice. I didn't need those walleyes that bad!

Attachments

• IMG01239-20130314-1832.jpg
    IMG01239-20130314-1832.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 587
Got too close on snow once.

Luckily it didn't go until I walked over to my camera. I wouldn't have died, but we would have been cold and wet.

14.jpg

Ice was plenty thick this last weekend. No worries.:D

3_zpsa15ad541.jpg

Well sir - I do not fish thin ice. No fish is worth dropping in the drink for imo. Never had a close call - only my labs have had, falling though chasing after geese. Luckily - have not had to rescue the dogs.

I like my ice like I like I used to like my women - thick, hard, and smooth. Somethin about mopeds.

Anyway, crazy pics. Ice off is just fine with me.

Nice fish Miller! There are definitely some days that make it worth it, this is an Idaho hybrid my buddy caught earlier this season.

Attachments

• 2013121495102026.jpg
    2013121495102026.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 610
How big do those hybrids get?

State record was close to 35 lbs out of American Falls Res a just a couple years ago. Up on Henrys Lake, I think a few over 20 lbs come out every year. Wish they tasted better.

This one was just under 11 lbs and 30 inches.

Good grief, that is out of control. Growing them like sturgeon!
Nice fish ERSS!
Henry's lake? near Pocatello yes? Hear that is gorgeous.
I was around Twin Falls growin up. Targhee dr - could ride dirt roads to a Pole Line rd?? and climb the walls of the Snake.
Man, good times.

Last edited:
Good grief, that is out of control. Growing them like sturgeon!
Nice fish ERSS!
Henry's lake? near Pocatello yes? Hear that is gorgeous.
I was around Twin Falls growin up. Targhee dr - could ride dirt roads to a Pole Line rd?? and climb the walls of the Snake.
Man, good times.

That is neat country over there in the snake river gorge, my goal this summer is too spend some time exploring the Owyhees down in SW corner.

American Falls Res is near Pocatello, but Henrys Lake is up on the Montana border near West Yellowstone ( I guess technically it is nearest Island Park, ID )

That original picture would drive me crazy. Once you're an "adult" go ahead and win a Darwin Award, I don't care then, but the poor kids didn't ask for stupid parents.

Then you guys go and start talking about Henry's Lake ....................... I've had the experience of fishing Henry's in a float tube, unfortunately that was waaaaay back in the 80's. I prefer fishing soft water.

I was out one day driving around a couple of years ago, decided to take a drive by Fort Peck because the ice was breaking up and I hadn't been out there for a while. There were a couple of guys jumping from ice chunk to ice chunk to get out to drop a line. Seemed insane to me.

Nemont

That original picture would drive me crazy. Once you're an "adult" go ahead and win a Darwin Award, I don't care then, but the poor kids didn't ask for stupid parents.

Then you guys go and start talking about Henry's Lake ....................... I've had the experience of fishing Henry's in a float tube, unfortunately that was waaaaay back in the 80's. I prefer fishing soft water.

Henrys is my favorite, in all seasons. Big hybrids and always a chance at an oversized brookie.

Not the best taxi, but this is my biggest brookie to date. A 20 incher from Henrys a couple years ago.

Attachments

• 2012-09-11_21-04-03_213.jpg
    2012-09-11_21-04-03_213.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 501
Careful, ERSS, you keep me thinking about fishing over there in eastern Idaho too much and you may end up with some out-a-stater showing up in your favorite fishing hole.

Careful, ERSS, you keep me thinking about fishing over there in eastern Idaho too much and you may end up with some out-a-stater showing up in your favorite fishing hole.

PM me if your over this way and want to give it a go, I am sure we can find a place in the boat for ya.

I dropped a pickup thru the ice 30+ years ago when I was a kid. It wasn't to deep and we were able to get it out with a chainsaw and a tow truck. Funny thing was I was following someone else's tracks from that morning and there were rigs all over the place. I haven't been ice fishing since.

Back