Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

House Remodel?

TLC---it's interesting on the sq ft building costs what the different parts of the country can get accomplished---out here in the big cities it's beyond crazy----also from county to county and city to city there's different codes----a lot of them are the same but some cities have there own sets beyond the basic building code---for example in SF we can't use any plastic pipe unless it's for foundation drainage---cast or copper only and in the past you could only run one electrical wire in one hole, that one has been changed now I believe---chris

Talking to some people that have done those kit home deals, the materials are low grade and way over priced. The EASY financing is the hook. You can get a much better deal from a local bank and building supply center. I talked my sister out of getting involved in building one several years ago.

Most of the kit home companies that I'm familiar with have gone TU because the owner/builder more often than not end up with half built aborted mess that they end up walking away from.

The lumber came from 84 lumber. Not exactly low grade and if it was crap I threw it out or cut it for blocks. I put radiant heat in so I burned up all the garage lumber 2x4 for extra plates. Then bought new 2x6 for the heated garage.

Better deal from the bank? No way. I paid 5% interest on the construction loan. Just try and match that anywhere. Plus no general contractor. It is not for everyone. But I did alot of construction in college paying the bills.

This company has been around for a while. I had no problems other than getting the wrong cabinets once cause there was another guy down the street getting his the same time.

Dinkshooter, if you don't me asking, what did you pay for the house turnkey? completely done, ready to move in? not counting furniture and appiances.

I owe the bank 290,000 of which 80,000 was the property. So 104.37sq ft. The really best feature is the radiant heat. System is so quite.

But I:
1. Was there helping while they dug it
2. Helped put up forms
3. Help to back fill a little/put in utilities
4. Framed the whole house
5. Did all siding
6. Painted inside and out
7. hung all cabinets/counters, trim doors windows etc.
8. Plumbing trim
9. Irrigation
10. All landscaping
11. How could I forget insulating?
12. tile
13. laminate flooring

This is not a housing friendly area. It is a 200sq ft market and it has never tanked in my 37 years. There is NO other way I could own my own house here had I not gone that route.

Chris, yep building costs are crazy everywhere. they are really nuts the closer you get to chicago here. we are an hour south, so still semi reasonable. I can still put them up for around 90 square foot, but nothing fancy like tile floors or custom cabinets. and that does not include the lot price. and yes, different villages, towns, and cities have their own ordinances, but the BOCA, NEC, etc., codes are nationwide. the ordinances are nothing more than scams the individual cities enforce. doing a house now where they want the rough in electrical and plumbing to include everything finished in the basement. and where they get you is the part in the ordinance that says "inspectors discretion." but they have no problem sticking that hand out for the EXTRA inspection fee.

Dinkshooter, didn't want to get personal, just wondering what costs were out that way. thanks.

TLC???? Nothing took personal, I really appreciate your input.

The plumbing company where I work(I'm in the office) does rough in for $650 a hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No fixtures, just the rough in.

Service work is $94 an hour, does not include parts or materials.

Dink,

Your skill level is way above the kit home owner/builders I witnessed. Most couldn't even operate a skil saw. One guy put his T&G sub floor on backwards smashing each tongue all to heck as he went. Joists were 2x10, not I joists. Roofing was 20 year 3 tab dumped at the curb, not on the roof. Windows were lowest grade vinyl frame that you could possibly find. Rest of the package was equally poor. I looked at the itemized price sheet of one of these kits from a couple thinking about building one. Material prices were double what I could buy the same materials for. I was asked to bid on finishing out a couple of them that the owners bailed on. Just said thanks but no thanks.

Did you ever compare what your package cost vs what it would cost to buy on your own?

I didn't shop as I went to the bank first and they wanted 20% of the lot down, and they required a general Contractor.

I have since heard of better banking deals but I don't have any options regarding a new lot.

But........................at the time I was 33 years old living at home. Made some bad choices up until that time:D

This little problem had me pretty broke and broke down:rolleyes:

http://drphil.com/slideshows/slideshow/2873/?id=2873&isTip=&slide=1&null=null

Thank god I got away from that one:D I never made up my mind if I was happy or sad they never mentioned me supporting her sorry butt for 8 years..

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back