horseback hunting question.

nr8l

Hello all! I'm looking for a little help. I acquired a couple horses for hunting season this year. For those of you who are experienced with this, how much feed do I need to carry in with us per horse. This will be a wilderness hunt.

Thanks for the help.

Depends on the length of time in the woods staying at one location? and the conditions... Pack horses? One a lead mare?

I have hobbled my pack horses with the lead mare picketed in a field where the picket can rotate multi 360' w/o concern of getting wrapped. They "often" do not stray from the mare's general area - though have had to seek 'em out on occasion.

If you are running electric fence, I would take 'em out and picket during the day to let them feed and place in the "secure" fence area in the eve.

If you are high lining - which I do not recomend for long durations (+3hours) with that, you would need to bring your feed.

This is all dependant on the duration of time at one location as your picket areas will get smaller and smaller...

OR, pack in cubes though that can get really rich for them if used as their main source.

Or if just a couple horses / mules - picket 'em both.

Kinda tough to offer advise on such as in my opinion, your question poses the need to have an experienced back country horseman to really show you the ropes until you are comfortable.
Horses are great though if not handled properly in the back country can not only become tough for your stock - though can ruin your entire hunt.

Pickets / hobble has been my main method. Be sure your horses / mules are used to being hobbled and picketed before trying such and don't forget the cow bells for the ones you simply hobble. I do not suggest picketing to the halter - I prefer picketing to a single hobble. You need to have horses very familiar with this though.

If you are packing in feed, be sure to check on the requirements and duration fo time at each location allowed as there may be "weed free certifications / etc required.

EDIT ADDED:
As I usually depend on grazing for horses and substitute cubes in snow or low grazing areas - I believe the ratio is around 15lbs(+) a day per avg mature horse would be necessary is running off specifically alfalfa cubes. It may be a bit more... though that would be my rough guess if looking to pack in a bag or two of cubes... My comment on not using them due to being too rich is more based on my feeding of Alfalfa/Grass hay vs straight alfalfa cubes... cubes to ensure horses digestive system is good to go - you should start feeding them maybe 1/4 of their daily feed and slowly increase as you get closer to your trip (start a week prior or so).

Last edited:
Well there are a lot of things to think about stock management in the backcountry. The best thing you can do is to join a Backcountry Horsemens group in your area,,,don't know where you're located but there are groups across the west. On Sytes message, lot of good info except putting stock out at nite in an electric fence, bad idea, something can spook them and there goes the fence. I always highline at nite, need to learn proper way to . Feed can be supplemented with some grazing, but that takes away from hunting time. Packing in a complete feed of mixed hay pellets, if thats all they get, 15-20 lbs a day,,,,an extra pack mule,,cubes 1" size are not always acceptable to some horses unless aclimated to them.
If you picket or hobble you need to be around and make sure they are trained to them, they can cover a lot miles on hobbles and end up back at the trailer. when grazing I always bell the leader, they can sure hide when you're trying to catch them. Like sytes said if you've never been around horses, get together with some Backcountry Horsemen and you can get an education,,,,thats what we're all about!!!!!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back