Honeymoon Ideas?

Carnage2011

Alright guys, I need some help here. My fiance and I are set to tie the knot next August. We've lined up most everything that we need for the wedding, so now we are trying to decide on a honeymoon. We are open to waiting until the spring or early the following summer in order to take the right trip, but we would like to start planning fairly soon. She loves the outdoors as much as me, so I'm not stuck taking here to a resort or something like that. We have talked about driving the alaskan highway, caribou hunting, a canadian black bear hunt.....but haven't really settled on anything yet. Does anyone here have any ideas? We are planning on going for 12-15 days roughly, and would like it to involve something outdoors. Any ideas would be appreciated!

The Alaska Highway can be intense. A suggestion on that might be to take the ferry up and drive back, or vice versa. I've never done the Ferry, but that inside passage area is pretty dang cool. Could even turn it into a DIY caribou hunt if you venture up the Haul road.

How about a spring time coastal blackbear hunt from a charter boat, fishing, hunting, and beautiful views all in one. then when your done, drive the Alaskan highway.

I think I would go to Africa over Alaska. Spring is off season so tickets and all sorts of things are cheaper. You don't have to go on a safari and shoot a truck load of animals. Go on a 2-4 animal hunt, shop around and you can probably get it all put together for $7-8K or less. I've been twice, took a half dozen animals each time, and did both trips for less than $10k for 2 people including airfare... during peak season, and some $$$ animals.

The logistics of going to Africa aren't much harder than coming up here, actually easier IMO.

I love Alaska, but a catered hunt in Africa is the opposite end of the spectrum.

Hunting in AK in the spring or early summer wouldn't really be my idea of a great time. The only thing you could do is bears.

Do you like to fish? Some pretty sweet deals to be had if you shop around. Lots of outdoor fun for the $, and none of the misery of a hunt.

That said, my honeymoon was a dall sheep hunt. :) The wife loved it, but she's an outdoor addict.

Head to Bozeman, Montana in early to mid-september. Do a guided flyfishing trip on the Yellowstone one day, do a 4 or 5 day backcountry trip through Yellowstone while flyfishing. Do a few overnights up on the Beartooth Plateau out of the northwest corner of the park, then drive back through Yellowstone and hit Chico Hot Springs resort on your way back to Bozeman. If you want to hunt, you could swap Yellowstone for archery elk hunting near the Paradise Valley. Just my 2 cents.

Why not Hawaii ? Depending on the island, you can hunt Axis deer, Mouflon sheep, Spanish goat, Wild boar, Blacktail deer, and turkeys. The Franklin and Eurcle shooting can be a ton of fun as well.

Why not Hawaii ? Depending on the island, you can hunt Axis deer, Mouflon sheep, Spanish goat, Wild boar, Blacktail deer, and turkeys. The Franklin and Eurcle shooting can be a ton of fun as well.

hawaii is magic,,say mouflon n chital
or visit new zealand,,tons of hunting,,fishing and great walks in the mountains

My wife and I kayaked and hiked the southern arm of Yellowstone Lake/Thoroughfare in Yellowstone Park in September, with stays at Chico Hot Springs and Yellowstone Lake lodge on either end. That was 20 years ago, but it remains on of our favorite trips. She is not a hunter. The other trips these guys mention sound great too. Good problem to have!

Its your honeymoon....all you need is to be undisturbed.Camping for numerous days AND celebrating your with your new wife might take groudey to a higher level:) I would have a short lounge trip first,then go for the adventure.(but then I was building our first house when I was married and it took ten years for us to get an actual honey moon sin kid).

Fly to Anchorage, rent a small RV and explore Alaska, you can have a lot of fun in a couple weeks there. Take a couple fishing rods and have a blast. That said, if you really want to hunt, I'd listen to what Bambistew has to say.

Maui.........nothing puts a woman in the mood more than sun, sand and tropical drinks!

I think I'd just load up the car and take off somewhere. Drive when you feel like driving, stop when you feel like stopping. See where the road takes you.

Thanks for the ideas guys. We are definitely interested in fishing so we are thinking Alaska or possibly new Zealand at this point.

My wife and I tied the knot in April, went on our honeymoon in May up to Sitka. Went on a halibut/salmon/ling cod fishing trip. We stayed at a lodge with hot tubs and every meal we ate was prepared by their award winning chef (best seafood and beef I've ever eaten). We ended up bringing 150+ pounds of fish back and we really enjoyed ourselves and hope to go again.

Her first fish of the trip was a 140 pound Hali so we started the week off right

I can give you more details of the trip if you're interested.

Back