Home Window Quotes and Warranty

Man this thread gives me anxiety. We had basement level vinyls installed when we built our house. They hardly close and leak like sieves, I literally have to apply tape at the joints to keep the cold out. Thankfully it's a small house

Man this thread gives me anxiety. We had basement level vinyls installed when we built our house. They hardly close and leak like sieves, I literally have to apply tape at the joints to keep the cold out. Thankfully it's a small house
With vinyl windows it's pretty important to get the highest level offered. mtmuley

One suggestion is if you all doing your own install, or even if your having someone else do the install and it’s not going to be completed all at once is to make sure you purchase all the needed windows in the first order. Even if you have to store them for a bit. Nothing like picking up on finishing a project a finding out they discontinued the window you liked and now you have to try to match things up.

One suggestion is if you all doing your own install, or even if your having someone else do the install and it’s not going to be completed all at once is to make sure you purchase all the needed windows in the first order. Even if you have to store them for a bit. Nothing like picking up on finishing a project a finding out they discontinued the window you liked and now you have to try to match things up.
I saw someone say how easy it is to do it yourself. I've installed thousands of windows. Made me chuckle. Another good way is to purchase the windows of your choice and hire a reputable building contractor to do the R&R. mtmuley

I saw someone say how easy it is to do it yourself. I've installed thousands of windows. Made me chuckle. Another good way is to purchase the windows of your choice and hire a reputable building contractor to do the R&R. mtmuley

100% agree. Going cheap on windows is big mistake. Something that for me makes or breaks windows is the finish and trim. Nothing like nice clean lines and crispy done trim.

That is the other consideration
...how many months wait for a reputable contractor.

I didn't want to spend the all of that at once but I periodically check in with in with the salesman at RP lumber to make sure nothing is getting discontinued for that exact same reason.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
We decided on two 8 foot wide picture windows since these are on the west-facing wall and there are any other windows that can be opened.

So far the best quote seems to be Milgard double-pane argon, U-Factor: .23, SHGC: .29, VT: .54 $930 each

The dealer estimates installation cost $2000-$2500 each which surprised me.

Interesting conversation to say the least. We just got a quote for ~30 windows and 10 exterior doors. Most of the doors are Wadeana, and the windows Anderson 400s. Costly isn't quite the word. We are building a new house so EVERYTHING except lumber is priced out of sight. Lumber is cheap. I don't get that.

We built the current house and barn 24 yrs ago and went with top of the line Marvins. They aren't perfect either. We have had a bit of rot, one lost its seal, if it ever had it. Makes me wonder if there really is such a thing as a "good" window or door.

Kind of laughed at the first estimate for the barn (32x70'). Only $650-700k. I don't think the guy really wanted the job. Not sure what was up with that.

I've a feeling an 'estimate' will substantiate the notion I'm having of being capable of 'living with' a bit of pane 'sweat & fog'.

I've a feeling an 'estimate' will substantiate the notion I'm having of being capable of 'living with' a bit of pane 'sweat & fog'.
At our old place I had a few windows loose there seal, no rot or anything. Found a glazer who did some side work. Replaced the seals for me. Not sure how it would work with yours these were all wood cosnt. Wasn't ideal but got me by.

Got my final quote from a Missoula company.
"Lifetime Warranty" yet no where are the specific details of exactly what that means.
"Lifetime" can mean until the product fails, or until the product is discontinued.
There are many details in warranties that need to be studied.
I found the following link useful information
Also look in the details of the warranty for any consumer legal rights that are waived
by implicitly agreeing to the warranty. For example, unless the consumer opts out,
Renewal By Anderson: No Class-Action or Jury Trials
YOU AGREE THAT YOU MAY ASSERT DISPUTES AGAINST RENEWAL BY ANDERSENONLY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER INANY CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR PROCEEDING. AS PART OF THIS DISPUTERESOLUTION PROCESS, YOU AND ANDERSEN ALSO AGREE TO WAIVE ANY RIGHTTO A JURY AND AGREE TO HAVE ALL DISPUTES HEARD AND DECIDED SOLELY BYTHE FEDERAL OR STATE COURT JUDGE.Opt-Out Procedure. You may opt out of this Dispute Resolution Process by completing and submitting a written Opt-Out Notice.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back