HMA Access Question

Gonewest

Provided a county road boarders it. If state or blm land in inside a HMA can anyone hunt it?

Usually, yes. Check with the AccessYes page on the WGFD website for the specific HMA to be sure.

All the HMAs and WIHAs in the Access Yes program have legal access for the public or they wouldn't be in them. As madtom stated, check the green Public Access section at the top right of the G&F website and then click on the HMA section. Some only require that you print out permission slips you carry with you and a slip with your vehicle information that's left on the dashboard. Some require that those who have drawn tags for the unit the HMA is in to then put in for a draw to get on because the HMA has a maximum limit of people. Check the website and you should get answers to most, if not all, of your questions.

If you point out which HMA you’re looking at we might be able to provide more insight.

If there's public lands accessible by a public roadway inside of an hma, you don't need a permission slip to hunt that section of public land. I verified that at the Wyoming game and fish office last year. You can't walk across hma land to get to public land though.

Lonesome is right.
Info on HMAs should be out this coming week.

Info is online now on the public access page.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been concerned because the Cherokee Park HMA was removed from the main elk map about a month ago. I had assumed something must have happened and it was not going to be available in 18. Now when I look on the HMA map it's still there so hopefully it will be available.

If there's public lands accessible by a public roadway inside of an hma, you don't need a permission slip to hunt that section of public land. I verified that at the Wyoming game and fish office last year. You can't walk across hma land to get to public land though.

That’s generally true, but off the top of my head I think of Duncan Ranch hma. It looks like solid state land on the map, but you need a slip to hunt it. Safest to ask WGFD about the spot in question to be sure.

This is what I was trying to ask. I’m taking my wife and stepdaughter on their first western hunt. They have tags in 43 so I’m looking at Diamond Lake and Laramie River. Most of the accessible public land is in the HMA.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back