HF 4780 Upper Red Lake

I've read this a few times and can't wrap my head around it. At least a few co-authors appear to be metro area DFLers - if my rep responds to my email about it I'll update.

My brother was telling me about this and at first I didn't believe him. Am I understanding this correctly that all the land(private & public) would be turned over to the tribe?

My brother was telling me about this and at first I didn't believe him. Am I understanding this correctly that all the land(private & public) would be turned over to the tribe?

No. The bill calls for all state owned land within 1 mile of the Upper lake to be transferred to the tribes, then all of the state owned within the Red Lake State Forest. No private lands are included, and that would have to be done through eminent domain anyway.

No. The bill calls for all state owned land within 1 mile of the Upper lake to be transferred to the tribes, then all of the state owned within the Red Lake State Forest. No private lands are included, and that would have to be done through eminent domain anyway.
That's true but our private lands have little value if we can't fish the lake.

That's true but our private lands have little value if we can't fish the lake.
Has the tribe stopped access to the lake? It's been years since I lived in N. MN, but I seem to recall that there was access...? Or, was that only through the non-tribal lands?

Has the tribe stopped access to the lake? It's been years since I lived in N. MN, but I seem to recall that there was access...? Or, was that only through the non-tribal lands?
They have not stopped access to the state owned portion of Upper Red Lake but the Red Lake band is trying to do that

The Upper Red Lake Area Association is having a meeting Tuesday March 19 at 6:00pm. It's at the Waskish town hall the public is encouraged to attend, hopefully we can convince people this is a bad bill

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back