Here was a public land issue from last year.....

SFC B

Last year was my first elk season. We had a great camp 2nd season in CO 25/26. Our camp was on the very edge of wilderness well into public land (about 2 miles). The access jeep trail cross through private land right off of the county dirt road and then climbs. The wilderness is open to grazing.
The reason I am writing about what happened is two fold. First, is the idea of game animals versus the ranching interests on public (the bison thread starting me thinking). The second is the way some of the private interests bordering public land profit by basically selling our resources (game).
The incident that occurred last season was not something I had even conceived before our hunt. My buddy and I were successful on the first and third day of the season so on the fourth day we packed up to get the meat home. On the way out we stopped by one of the camps below ours that was a group of guys who had been coming there for years and knew my camp mate well. We wanted to congratulate them on the two deer they had hanging and gloat a little on our elk. Upon pulling over we started the conversation about their deer and they commenced to tell us why they didn’t have any elk themselves.
It seems they were hunting the timber the day before and had come upon a small herd of elk. As they were making their way through the aspens toward the elk they heard some noise break the silence of the forest and saw 4 guys (ranch hands from one of the properties down below) on horseback coming at the elk and trying to move them down hill toward the private land which was about half a mile below. One of the hunters was in a position that allowed him to come out from behind a tree and freeze up one of the horsemen. With rifle shouldered he informed him that if he came up there again on his horse he would be walking back to the ranch. I wondered if I would have been so restrained.
The guys from the camp were going to the DOW office on the way out but didn’t fancy anything was going to be done. I guess I wonder what the chances of the DOW guys who work that area making an issue of it with the local ranchers versus “just a bunch of public land hunters”. I wonder how deeply the idea of a “public resource” goes.
I have been thinking about this and the more I think the more the whole thing chaps my ass. First, the ranchers get to use the wilderness to graze their cattle (and get to use 4 wheelers to go into it to check their herds and the fence when the public is foot or horse only). Then, they get to running “outfitting” operations on their ranches which basically consist of them waiting for the elk to come down from the elevation of public land to feed lower. Finally, these jokers are sending henchmen onto public land to hasten the migration to the lower elevation and the semi-canned hunts. Maybe I don’t have a large enough perspective on Western hunting since I am new (4 years) to the West and Western hunting (my first season), but what do you think about this?

I ran into a similar situation last year in beulah unit oregon where the ranchers were flying very low trying to herd the elk off public toward there private hunters,its real b s.

I hunt a piece of public land in the little belts where this occurs frequently, the outfitter drives his quad up on the public land with his dogs and scares them back down. Ive talked to the game warden about it but he cant get anything to stick. I can see 300 head every morning half mile onto the private.
Graze cattle on public land, outfit there land for private hunting, scare elk off public land on to said private, collect money from depredation damage. Seems about right.
What is everyones opinion on having to let a select number of hunters hunt there land before they can get depredation money?? I know it doesnt seem right to force a private land owner to allow hunting but i see this happening more and more.

I hunt a piece of public land in the little belts where this occurs frequently, the outfitter drives his quad up on the public land with his dogs and scares them back down. Ive talked to the game warden about it but he cant get anything to stick. I can see 300 head every morning half mile onto the private.
Graze cattle on public land, outfit there land for private hunting, scare elk off public land on to said private, collect money from depredation damage. Seems about right.
What is everyones opinion on having to let a select number of hunters hunt there land before they can get depredation money?? I know it doesnt seem right to force a private land owner to allow hunting but i see this happening more and more.

Sounds interesting given that they are using public land to make a good portion of their profit. I may be a little militant (uh military)but as hard as I have to struggle to get time to hunt I am not sure what my reaction would be if I had been in their shoes. It might have been a really bad day :(

Interesting thought, and like you said, it is happening. In MN, for example, landowners who wish to receive a landowner turkey license have to allow public hunting on their land. Their name and address as well as information about where their land is located and how many acres is posted in a publication from the MN DNR. I don't know the specifics of when they need to allow other hunters access... it may just be during season dates outside the dates they will be hunting. Seems like a good idea to me though. If you want preference for drawing a license, you gotta give something back to the public in return.

Not much your going to do unless you can document these ranch hands herding or pushing elk off the public land and back onto the private land. Even at that I doubt anything would stick unless you had multiple occurrences of this happening documented. Most guys aren't going to take the time to do this so it's sort of a mute point I guess. Happens in lots of areas as I've heard of quite a few ranches doing this. Apparently they own the elk in their minds. It's wrong but part of the deal in some areas.

YA, I have heard this same story many times over the years, But it sure isn't right.
it is just like them running there cattle on public land, they should have to have there cattle off the public land before hunting Season even starts, IMHO

Kevin

it is just like them running there cattle on public land, they should have to have there cattle off the public land before hunting Season even starts, IMHO

Kevin
Just a question, but do you realize if you are discussing Federal lands, that the agency that administers the grazing (Feds) does not administer or set hunting seasons (State)?

The dichotomy of two agencies administering different uses on the same piece of ground can be a very confusing issue for folks not used to it. I know it was for me at first.

SFC B- It might be worth your while to check with the office that administer's that wilderness area as I would be very surprised if the grazing permittees are granted an exemption to use ATVs in a wilderness area. I know it has been down in travel restricted areas, but I have never heard of it being allowed in a designated wilderness. A quick call/email to right person at the agency office would give you the answer.

I've heard of this BS occurring in several states too. I was in the middle of it one time by purely by accident and they pushed a nice 6pt bull to me. Boy were they upset when my rifle cracked but after I explained to them that they could go @%$# themselves they left and continued down the mountain. We all pay taxes, buy tags, etc.

I guess I am disappointed but not surprised to find out this is so common. The love of money leads pople to do some low down stuff.

With " RIFLE SHOULDERED" this "POS" threatened to shoot this guys horse or worse over whether or not this guy was herding elk 1/4 mile away from private land. Not sure what you'd have done in their shoes, might have been a bad day, over whether or not these guys were herding elk, not sure!!! Come on anyone that would condone pointing a rifle at or threatening to shoot a guy or his horse even if he were trying to herd elk is a POS. Local Sheriff should have been involved in this matter, feller with the rifle should be spending a few in the crowbar motel. I take this a little personal as I spent over 30 years working on large ranches in 8 western states and guided for one for 16yrs that was accused of herding elk, of which I never saw anyone try to herd or have anyone give an order to herd animals of any kind other than beef on to any of these ranches. In fact, just the opposite has been my experience.

Do I condone herding elk? No.

With " RIFLE SHOULDERED" this "POS" threatened to shoot this guys horse or worse over whether or not this guy was herding elk 1/4 mile away from private land. Not sure what you'd have done in their shoes, might have been a bad day, over whether or not these guys were herding elk, not sure!!! Come on anyone that would condone pointing a rifle at or threatening to shoot a guy or his horse even if he were trying to herd elk is a POS. Local Sheriff should have been involved in this matter, feller with the rifle should be spending a few in the crowbar motel. I take this a little personal as I spent over 30 years working on large ranches in 8 western states and guided for one for 16yrs that was accused of herding elk, of which I never saw anyone try to herd or have anyone give an order to herd animals of any kind other than beef on to any of these ranches. In fact, just the opposite has been my experience.

The hunter with rifle shouldered over reacted, no question, but when you sink major time/money/energy into a hunt, having an azzhat ride in and piss all over it... well, tempers are going to flare. You come from the ranching angle - I've had it happen to me from the hunter's perspective - we're going to have a difference of opinion for sure.

Clearly I wasn't there to see how it played out in fact but I'm curious what you think these ranch hands - riding through a herd of elk off of their ranch - were doing up there, then.

SFC B- if it's designated a true wilderness area, there shouldn't be a quad in there no matter who it's carrying.

We hunted the Flattops area a few years ago during muzzleloader season. We met a rancher that basically told us he kept his sheep in the high country until the hunters on his ranch killed out. I was shocked to find cattle and sheep in the actual wildnerness areas, come to find out that's pretty standard. While we were there, the cow/sheep boys were rounding up and heading to lower ground for the winter. When they came back through several remote areas whooping and hollering "looking for strays" it was pretty frustrating. Were they herding wildlife...maybe not intentionally, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Anyway, lesson learned, anytime I'm hunting the west I'll for damn sure ask the managing agencies if they will be grazing areas I plan to hunt. We also hiked in 5-6 miles one day only to find several outfitter camps, another lesson learned. Expensive lessons, but it certainly helped for future hunts. We did eventually get on some elk, but didn't connect. One of the guys got a nice muley buck.

Big difference between guys making their living on the level and what may have taken place in the OP. At least there is to me. Yes, it can be frustrating but that is public land hunting in a nutshell.

While I would say that pointing the weapon was overreacting, thinking that guy any worse than the TOOL that decided he was going ride through a hunting area herding wildlife without any regard for safety, let alone ruining what was somone else's hard earned vacation/hunt was in ANY WAY right, or justifing his even being in the area since ALL livestock was long since on the ranch, is just plain wrong. As for the sheriff...really? How do you think that conversation would have gone "Hey officer will you come half a mile up into the wilderness, where I was committing the crime of hunter harrassment "statute #C.R.S. 33-6-115.5.", herding wildlife for profit, putting several people's well being in danger so that we can confront the hunter who called me on my criminal behavior?" Maybe you worked on ranches where this wouldn't be tolerated, and that is good, but if you have any tolerance for this you are dead wrong. Especially given the HUGE amounts of money some of these ranches make off of these hunts after they are already using public land to feed their cattle for a good portion of the year. Let's not even get started on the extra allocations of tags at the expense of the public hunters. I get that you have a personal investment in not believing these dudes were absolute DIRT-BAGS as you made your living in the "industry". Seems that there are an awful lot of folks who have been on the wronged in this way. Maybe the answer lies in keeping livestock on pivate land only or prohibiting for-profit hunting on private lands using these tags that are taken away from the pubic...Then there wouldn't be any questions when these POSs come onto public land-just plain old CRIMINALS.

You don't think I've hunted public ground before? And if it were me in this stiuation some sort of officer would be involved guarenteed, total BS on the hunters part with the rifle. Hunter harrassment is a little far fetched and hard to prove in a case like this, who knows what they were doing, and I don't believe at this time there is a law that says you can't ride a horse through BLM or Forest land, And on top of that you haven't hunted public land much if ya haven't had some Elmer Fudd come strolling through your perfect setup to harvest your elk. I do 90% of my hunting on public land an do use a horse for work an play, I also have kids and a wife to make a living for and don't need some POS hunter shooting me because he thought I screwed up his hunt. Who made you judge and jury!

By the way Thank You for you service!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back