Yeti GOBOX Collection

Help on Montana 313 Mountain Goat Hunt

3xwt

Gentlemen,
I'm looking for any advice/prior experience about a DIY mountain goat hunt in Montana's 313. So far I have read every thread on this forum (and several others) about mountain goat hunting (Thank you to all who have previously shared their experiences. There's a wealth of knowledge on this site). I've called Karen Loveless and sent her an email reference any information she might be willing to share. I'm currently waiting on her to re-contact me.
I'm in fairly descent shape already. However, I have increased my pack weight and length of my 'walk abouts'. (I understand the terrain-it's steep. I've hunted all around the unit just never been in the unit.) Although I'm sure the mountains will put a hurt on me, I do have a plan to be in mountain shape by the time the season kicks off.
I plan on scouting for a week in July and then again just prior to the season kicking off. I understand access can be somewhat limited. However, according to the maps I have on the unit-there are numerous trails leading into the unit. Some trails look better than others. If anyone has any experience, I would appreciate any/all advice in particular about the trail network. I have a map made by Beartooth Publishing. If there are better maps, please share.
As this is probably the only goat hunt I'll get to do in MT, I plan on documenting the hunt and taking hundreds of pictures. I appreciate any and all advice other members are willing to openly or privately share.

Congrats on drawing the tag. With you and Randy11 now with Montana tags, that gets us up to 8 Hunttalk members with mountain goat tags this year.

2 in Montana - 3xwt and Randy11
3 in Idaho - Gweb85, canuk77, yellowlab
2 in Colorado - TBone and LopeHunter
1 in Wyoming - me

No help from me on your unit in Montana or goat hunting in general other than what I've also read here. I have talked to a couple folks who have had the same tag as I have in Wyoming, people seem much more willing to share information on these once in a lifetime type tags than for other more common tags.

I'm planning on calling the wildlife biologist and possibly the game warden for the unit I'll be hunting in Wyoming in the next week or so as well.

Good luck!

Beartooth-Thanks. Hope to go in there soon and check out the area. Pictures will follow.

I had to check the maps but it appears you drew the Crazy's tag, very nice! There are a lot of goats up there, I don't have any goat experience in the unit but go in from Big Timber Canyon sometime and you should be into them.

I actually drew the 323 goat tag this year! I'm excited to get into some scouting soon and look over the new territory. I will be posting some of the hunt as well this season, good scouting!

Congrats on an awesome tag! I had the tag last year, and it was by far the most fun hunt of my life. We saw plenty of goats all throughout the year. We spent the whole summer scouting and ended up taking a real nice billy. Enjoy the tag, and dont forget a fishing pole on your scouting trips, lots of lakes and streams with good fishin. Get in the best shape you possibly can because it is rough country.

I also drew a 313 tag this year. I good friend drew it two years ago so I know a little about the area. Good luck to all the fellow goat hunters.

I as well drew a crazies goat tag this year. I'm from Helena and have headed out that way both weekends since finding out the news, I also intend on spending every weekend until season scouting and learning as many trails as possible. I'm not extremely knowledgable about the area other then the main trails where you'll find every other goat hunter. I'm seeking some incite about the trail systems, ones that may not be known as well or that have brought some of you success in the past. Thank you for your time, info and for sharing your experience in advance. I hope to here from you all

Spent my weekend in the crazies scouting and came across 46 goats, 2 of them being decent billies for sure. Spotted a group of 26 a couple miles away and several smaller groups. Only a couple loners, took a few pictures but didn't turn out well due to the wind and distance. Everything I'm seeing this year has been 10 to 15 miles back this year

I was also up in the Crazies last week. None of my pics turned out for a completely different reason. (Momma didn't like my dirty hunting clothes on the floor, so she immediately threw them in the wash.....Cell phone and all.) Thus, all of my pics from last week were lost as I hadn't had a chance to upload them yet.
Long story short...I saw a few goats, lots of elk, and one extremely nice bear. But all and all it was a great trip for my first time in the Crazies.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back