Caribou Gear

Help Garmin gps hunting gps maps

Knot Tellin

I just purchased a new garmin 62st. I have a few questions for all you experienced users.
1. I want to purchase a map from hunting gps maps do I have to have a chip in my gps or does it have enough internal memory for the downloaded version?
2. One reason I got the 62st was it was suppose to have more memory than the 62s. But with the preloaded 100k map it doesn't have very much left. Can I take off the preloaded map and reloaded as need.

I have the chip for my 62st and it works perfectly. I never tried the downloadable version. IMO alot can go wrong in the downloading process and I'm no computer expert either.

You should be able to disable the 100k map. You can also move it off the garmin to a backup folder and copy it back to the garmin as needed.
If you get the d/l version you can print maps from Basecamp. You can also install that state map to your own sd card along with your other stuff like waypoints, routes, markups, etc. I personally install maps, etc to an 8 gig sd card rather than the unit internal memory.

I d/l gigs worth of stuff on a daily basis, nothin to worry about.

WapitiBob - I went directly into the 62 folder structure and copied it to my computer. There are 2 files that really have any size to them a gmapbmap.img, and a gmapprom.img. I believe these are the base maps and the 100k US topo maps.
I can disable both directly on the gps. However I can't remove them in base camp.
The only way I believe I can is if I go into the gps folder structure and delete them. I am a little nervous about doing this and cause a big problem.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back