Hells Canyon with the family

2rocky

I'm investigating ways to have a family activity on the Snake river when we are up there next July. One Jetboat company offers half day jet boat trips, self guided float trips, and fishing charters.

My Kids will be 14, 12, and 6 when we are there and I am curious if the boat ride fishing or paddling will be the most enjoyable across the group. I like catching fish, but I am more of a hunter than fisherman.

Any words of wisdom from some other folks who have spent time lately on the Snake?

What part of the river have you been looking at for a starting point? PM me the name of some of the companies you've been looking at and I should be able to provide some insight.

Unfortunately it has been quite some time since I was in Hells Canyon, but be on the lookout for the bighorns and take your camera, hopefully they're still in there.

If you want to do some crappie and catfishing I operate a charterboat service on Brownlee Reservoir. Brownlee is the furthest dam upriver(south) of the 3 dams of the Hell's Canyon Complex. This will be my 11th season on Brownlee. www.brownleecharters.com
If I can answer any questions about the area just ask.

BC thanks for the heads up. I'm still gathering info but I'll be based in Grangeville, around the time of Border days. I'll check out your page. I seem to remember crappie and bluegill are good fish for kids?

Yeah, the panfish are good fish for kids. But I bet you'll have great fishing in Hell's Canyon. The way this winter is going with no snowpack river flows in July might just be perfect for fishing in the canyon. Lots of trout, smallmouth bass and channel catfish that you should have no problem catching. If you bring some heavy tackle you have a chance for a sturgeon also.

The jet boat tours to the dam are pretty fun if you haven't done them. Going up through wild sheep and granite rapids is quite an experience!

Put in at Pittsburgh landing and go upstream towards the dam if you can afford it its by far the best way to see the canyon if you charter a full day trip for $1000 you can target sturgeon and should catch some in July and if the kids get board the bass fishing is fast and fun. We Usually try to get a group of a couple of families or 6 or8 friends and split the boat cost. fishing equipment is generally supplied all you bring is beverages and food (its worth the money) post some pics when you get back.

BC, where do you launch from, I see your address is Richland OR...

I launch from the Powder River Arm of Brownlee a few miles out of Richland. The Powder Arm runs east 6.5 miles then hits the Snake that runs north and south. If you go north when the Powder hits the Snake the Brownlee dam is 7 miles. If you go south you can go all the way to Farewell Bend, about 45 miles. Below Brownlee dam is Oxbow Resv, below Oxbow dam is Hell's Canyon Resv, below Hell's Canyon dam the wild river into Hell's Canyon starts.

If you are going to be in grangeville you will be a coin toss for time to Pittsburgh or lewiston. If you are going to charter a trip I would recommend going out of Pittsburgh landing. The bass fishing is awesome for the kids as it is pretty fast pace and you catch a lot of fish. Feel free to shoot me a pm as I may be able to help you out. Like has been mentioned, the sheep are always fun to see.

Back